Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As anyone in Cali knows, we have had our fair share of inclement weather in SoCal. Well my bike has a couple of aftermarket parts that has left more then the usual amount of wires exposed. The bike battery (1 month old) died after the rain. bought a new battery and when I installed it the fan would turn on. i never turned the key or anything it just comes on. Any one know why??? Also the bike lights etc come on but did not start. Im charging the batt now to see if maybe it didnt have enough power....wish me luck!!:confused:

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
As anyone in Cali knows, we have had our fair share of inclement weather in SoCal. Well my bike has a couple of aftermarket parts that has left more then the usual amount of wires exposed. The bike battery (1 month old) died after the rain. bought a new battery and when I installed it the fan would turn on. i never turned the key or anything it just comes on. Any one know why??? Also the bike lights etc come on but did not start. Im charging the batt now to see if maybe it didnt have enough power....wish me luck!!:confused:
Did you try charging the flat battery before you replaced it?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I charged the old battery, it wouldnt even charge. bought the new one placed it in today...the fan didnt turn on this time but the bike wont ignite...I am going to replace all the fuses tomorrow hopefully that works...

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
I charged the old battery, it wouldnt even charge. bought the new one placed it in today...the fan didnt turn on this time but the bike wont ignite...I am going to replace all the fuses tomorrow hopefully that works...
You've had three batteries in one month all go flat?
Have you checked the charging system?
Something is definately wrong somewhere.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no one battery about 2 months ago durin a storm, then while i was at work another big storm hit about 1.5 weeks ago...so 2 batteries...i have alot of wires exposed im gonna re wrap them...but why wont the bike start??? Itys just friggin water!!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
If your fan is coming on when the key is not turned then there has to be a short somewhere (which is entirely possible if a bunch of wires are exposed as you described). A short would drain the battery, but that doesn't necessarily explain why the bike will not "ignite" with a fresh battery. Does it turn over and not start, or not turn over at all?

·
Registered
900 Posts
You need to find that short, every individual wire should be sealed, the fan running all the time will kill bettery, but if you have a short elswere it will kill your battery.Start at the front and work your way back, dont fit another batt till you sort it, just a waste of money.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Check the condinuity of each wire to see if it conducts the electricity...this is done by checking the fuse terminals where they plug in...the negative goes to the battery and the positive goes into the fuze terminal...this is an easy way to see if there is something wrong with the wiring...there are other things that could be wrong though...relays...wiring from the fuse to the electrical application..im not a pro with electrical work but sometimes the problem is stupid...che3ck what you can yourself and if all else fails take it in...they might also be able to check the diagnostics and find the problem??

·
Registered
105 Posts
How do i find the short? And how do I fix it? Not really the best with mechanics..
You know that your fan was bypassing the ignition to get power. For a start I would follow the fan's power supply wires back to the fuse box (couldn't tell you how that route goes). If your starter doesn't fire when you hit the ignition switch then something probably got fried. Follow that wiring back until you see something with burn marks on it.

Actually, for starters I would check to make sure there are no blown fuses.
Take it to a shop:rolleyes:
My rear end hurts just hearing those words.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts