Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
seamus said:
And an R44 rotor blades at the mast are a little over 9' off the ground.
I've only been on a helicopter twice...but both times I got out the rotor was still spinning...and despite knowing it was over 9' up, I ducked both times. :rotfl:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I think is was real. What would happen to our society if people put false images on the internet or television? Too terrible to think about.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Sorry, not buying.

When I see these videos, I always ask myself what context the video is being shot in. Is it plausible at face value? What is the guy doing getting out of a chopper and exhalting in that manner? Just get his pilot's license with his wife and child in the airship? I think not.

If you look carefully, the actor's face takes on a look of horror the moment before his hands actually get julienned.

Besides, the only helos that ever hot-load are military, police, and air ambulance aircraft.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Chain said:
Besides, the only helos that ever hot-load are military, police, and air ambulance aircraft.
When I did the strip tour in Vegas, we hot-loaded. But I agree with the rest. I thought maybe he pumped his arms in the air because of the excitement of just having taken his first helo trip. But there's too many questions and not enough plausible answers. Helo accidents happen. Several years ago, an executive with Conseco Insurance had his head removed while unloading out at Indianapolis International Airport. Wind came along and threw the helo to the side, lowering the blades and giving him a close shave right above the neck. :crap:

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
I don't know exactly what "hot loading" means, but the helo ride I took in Sweden we loaded up with it fully shut down, but when I got off, the blades were still spinning.

The helo was run by a commercial airline.

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
That clip has made the rounds on the internet. According to some knowledgeable chopper pilots, it is a total photochop job. I'll try to dig up the links on the discussion.

edit: Can't find the link, but do remember their point being that the chopper is a Robinson which has a tall mast that's almost 11 feet tall.

http://www.robinsonhelisales.com/r44iinew_spec.htm

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
That's what I was getting at. The Robinson has an extremely tall housing that raises the rotor blade higher than the average commercial helo (Bell 206/209s). The rotor blade on the 206 we train on in flight school is only about 6.5' from the ground. I bumped my noodle on the rotor tips many times during preflight as it sags down to about 5.5' at the tips.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I just had to break the movie up into individual frames. The photoshopping was rather comical. Twenty four frames per second. Within a single frame with his hands in the air, his face changed expressions. Mighty fast facial reflexes for a remote part of the body that would have to be processed through a much slower part of the brain. And a perfectly uprighted hand without any trauma other than a single, clean cut appears center screen exactly one frame later. The fingers appear to defy any flopping inertia effects of sudden acceleration.

Fit for TV, but needs more realism in the blood and gore department.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
luvtolean said:
I don't know exactly what "hot loading" means, but the helo ride I took in Sweden we loaded up with it fully shut down, but when I got off, the blades were still spinning.

The helo was run by a commercial airline.
@ you and Southpark: color me surprised! I didn't think any commerical outfits did that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts