Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody and fellow riders. Let me first begin by saying after searching through this website you all seem like an extremely knowledge bunch of riders where I believe I can fit it. A bit of history about myself first. I've been riding for many years but nothing new (as in bikes). For some reason I prefer the older bikes and never miss the opportunity to pick up the proverbial basket case for cheap and throw caution to the wind. My current bike that I am riding is a 1992 Kawasaki ZX750R that I picked up for 300 bucks and completely tore it down and redid everything. I think it's the satisfaction I get at the gas station, store, where ever and a fellow rider pulls up and says WOW, I haven't seen one of those in twenty years and in such great shape. The reason I am here though is because I came across a 2002 Honda CBR 954 RR Fireblade for a price I couldn't pass up. The problem is (According to the previous owner he parked it for the winter and after pulling it out each time he tried to start it it would pop the FI fuse). Well, he had no idea what he was doing so he ripped out the wiring harness trying to find a short and after getting thoroughly frustrated decided it was time to let it go. So now it sits in my garage stripped down ready to begin the restoration. I know I am going to have question as this will be my first ever Fuel injected bike so let the adventure begin.

Jim

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hello!
Maybe a bit obvious, but did you try to read the fault codes?
There is a connector under the rider seat (red if I'm not mistaken) that is free. You need to short out the connection and count how many times the FI light comes on. Also the duration of blinks (long and short). Long= 10 short =1
1 long and 2 short = fault code 12
List of codes:
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/814669/Honda-Cbr954rr-2002.html?page=118#manual

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,336 Posts
Hello everybody and fellow riders. Let me first begin by saying after searching through this website you all seem like an extremely knowledge bunch of riders where I believe I can fit it. A bit of history about myself first. I've been riding for many years but nothing new (as in bikes). For some reason I prefer the older bikes and never miss the opportunity to pick up the proverbial basket case for cheap and throw caution to the wind. My current bike that I am riding is a 1992 Kawasaki ZX750R that I picked up for 300 bucks and completely tore it down and redid everything. I think it's the satisfaction I get at the gas station, store, where ever and a fellow rider pulls up and says WOW, I haven't seen one of those in twenty years and in such great shape. The reason I am here though is because I came across a 2002 Honda CBR 954 RR Fireblade for a price I couldn't pass up. The problem is (According to the previous owner he parked it for the winter and after pulling it out each time he tried to start it it would pop the FI fuse). Well, he had no idea what he was doing so he ripped out the wiring harness trying to find a short and after getting thoroughly frustrated decided it was time to let it go. So now it sits in my garage stripped down ready to begin the restoration. I know I am going to have question as this will be my first ever Fuel injected bike so let the adventure begin.

Jim
Welcome Jim :welcome: We have a good band of brothers here, but not any guru's on fuel injection (yet), im sure there are a few out there, they just haven't "come out of the carbs" yet (see what I did there?) :wink

Fuel injection only gets tricky when the ECU's start acting up. There are several different "fault" safety's that they have in regards to limiting spark, fuel pump power, injector power, etc. However, an electrical gremlin like you described in your other post could just be a matter of a short, miswired connector, fuse panel issue, or other simple fault (the problem is finding it). It might just be better off for you to find a complete used harness and fit it. Keep plugging away and we'll help you out when we can.

BUT

You get nothing until you post a few pictures of the Kawi and the 954

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, since you asked for it, here is the pictures of both bikes. The first one is my classic 1992 Ninja Zx750R, the second one is the 2002 CBR954 RR exactly how it sits now. The netting on the back of the ninja is not factory, it's used to hold down my lunch box on the way to work.

Attachments

·
7,336 Posts
Well, since you asked for it, here is the pictures of both bikes. The first one is my classic 1992 Ninja Zx750R, the second one is the 2002 CBR954 RR exactly how it sits now. The netting on the back of the ninja is not factory, it's used to hold down my lunch box on the way to work.
Sweet rep with the Kawi, looks good :thumb:

The 9 needs some TLC huh? lol Have you ever ridden a 954?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nope, I have never rode a 9 before. From what I have been able to determine online and which made me buy it was this year was one of the most popular years as it was one of the original ones designed by Tadao Baba. Guess they changed them in 03/04 or something like that.

Jim

·
Registered
26 Posts
nope, I have never rode a 9 before. From what I have been able to determine online and which made me buy it was this year was one of the most popular years as it was one of the original ones designed by Tadao Baba. Guess they changed them in 03/04 or something like that.

Jim
Yes. The 954 was Baba's last bike before retirement, and it is by my opinion the best looking blade surpassed only by the original 92 model.

·
7,336 Posts

Jim
It's gonna be a wake up call from the Kawi, the 954 was the lightest, most powerful 900. Your're going to love it when you finally get to ride it :thumb:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cant wait to fire it up but right now there are other things which must be done, such as the beginning process of tearing it down and going through every nut and bolt. Gotta make it right, that's how I roll, especially when its my life on the line.

Jim

·
Registered
54 Posts
Cant wait to fire it up but right now there are other things which must be done, such as the beginning process of tearing it down and going through every nut and bolt. Gotta make it right, that's how I roll, especially when its my life on the line.

Jim
We need pictures and i thread about the build :)
I watch every thread since my mechanical skills are low with bikes but tries to learn

·
7,336 Posts

Jim
That's pretty much how we all roll here. If you look at just about every supporting member, our bikes are our crown jewels. I mean, @nigelrb keeps his in the BED with him! :bed::devil

I did a frame off 100% redo of my Red Rocker 93 900RR back in 2013. I did a 3 million post write up about it, then Photobucket screwed with all my pics. I had the wire harness completely redone to fit digital F4i gauges, wired in my own (a copy of an original 95) speed sensor harness, etc, etc, etc. The link is in my signature, but the pics are all blurred out. It's doable for you, it just takes time. I hope you stick around and bless us with progress pics and questions. We love to show our support :patriot:

Original Crasher.JPG

93 frame only.JPG

Re-wire.JPG

Painted Engine.JPG

Lighter Side View.JPG

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh yeah, I am sticking around, otherwise I wouldn't have joined. I looked at a few other websites but passed as they seemed hokey. When I do the rebuilt I document everything for 2 reasons, my own satisfaction and two, making sure i get it all back together properly. Unfortunately, in this case since it was ripped apart I will be picking many of your brains as some things (Such as multiple vacuum hoses are simply hanging there and I have no idea where they go. A few parts I asked him about where which were obviously missing I asked him about to which he replied, I must have lost them.
Jim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts