Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just discovered the forum. Moving to Glasgow imminently to a house with a garage. As I no longer need a bike with pillion comfort as a high priority (have a two year old and wife and I have no spare time), I can get a sportsbike at last!

Thinking of a 954 looking at my budget and what I like. Looking forward to enjoying the forum, I've a bit of reading to do...

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Ian's right I'm afraid but there's a few stalwarts, and loads of info posted over the years if you use the search options! Welcome on board by the way! 954 is a great bike and great value at the moment - older models are becoming sought after and fect £5k upwards for nice ones but there are some deal to be found on the late carburettor models, the RR-w and RR-X 1998/99. Personally I prefer my 929 to the 954 I had before it for riding but the 954 had better looks with the black frame and I had a red/black one which was awesome in my opinion! There's loads of buying advice to be found on any of the models. They all suffer voltage regulators/charging issues mainly as a result of corroded terminals and overheating, dont be fobbed off with being told it just needs a new battery mate, it might but there could be underlying issues too. check bottoms of forklegs for crack especially on the inside where its difficult to see. there was a recall on some 954 so you can check with Honda if the bike's had this done or if it needs it (I doubt it would be free now though!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ian's right I'm afraid but there's a few stalwarts, and loads of info posted over the years if you use the search options! Welcome on board by the way! 954 is a great bike and great value at the moment - older models are becoming sought after and fect £5k upwards for nice ones but there are some deal to be found on the late carburettor models, the RR-w and RR-X 1998/99. Personally I prefer my 929 to the 954 I had before it for riding but the 954 had better looks with the black frame and I had a red/black one which was awesome in my opinion! There's loads of buying advice to be found on any of the models. They all suffer voltage regulators/charging issues mainly as a result of corroded terminals and overheating, dont be fobbed off with being told it just needs a new battery mate, it might but there could be underlying issues too. check bottoms of forklegs for crack especially on the inside where its difficult to see. there was a recall on some 954 so you can check with Honda if the bike's had this done or if it needs it (I doubt it would be free now though!
Thanks folks, had some Hondas in the past so first thing I usually do is put a multimeter across the battery, give it a rev and see if it hits 14.4 volts or not...

The 954 styling appeals, and I don't want a bike with carbs - it will get early morning use for airport runs and I can't be doing with carb icing.

I have never seen the fork leg thing before (most guides major on the head bearing recall), so will take my magnifying glass.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Thanks folks, had some Hondas in the past so first thing I usually do is put a multimeter across the battery, give it a rev and see if it hits 14.4 volts or not...

The 954 styling appeals, and I don't want a bike with carbs - it will get early morning use for airport runs and I can't be doing with carb icing.

I have never seen the fork leg thing before (most guides major on the head bearing recall), so will take my magnifying glass.
I can totally understand fuel injection is so much nicer then carbs. I have both and the injection bikes always run right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts