Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,
Just joined the ranks among you guys as a brand new owner of a 2005 CBR1000RR.
It has around 1.4K miles.
Lots to learn and looking fwd to your experience, advice and help.

--
Art

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
Hi Art and welcome.

Great purchase. I had a 2004 and often post how much better looking and comfort offering they were over the later 'small' bikes.

Plenty of advice here and all varieties of experience.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[...]
I had a 2004 and often post how much better looking and comfort offering they were over the later 'small' bikes.
[..]
I agree with you, Just took it out for a spin and I just realized how stable this beast is. Quite amazing feeling.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can anyone recommend crash bars or anything to protect the fairings in case I drop it? I'm only 5'8" and I had to top-toe a little at full stop.
Do sliders stand up against this 450 lbs?
Tilting it the wrong way can easily drop it due to the weight.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Hey folks,
Just joined the ranks among you guys as a brand new owner of a 2005 CBR1000RR.
It has around 1.4K miles.
Lots to learn and looking fwd to your experience, advice and help.

--
Art
Hi Art,
I'm new to the forum too. It's very interesting and a fine bunch of lads!
Hope you enjoy your bike, I have a '92 and a '99 Blade. The first is undergoing and extended service and re-fettle
and the is just waiting for me to road tax it, probably July for my birthday!!! Enjoy. D

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Hi Art,
I'm new to the forum too. It's very interesting and a fine bunch of lads!
Hope you enjoy your bike, I have a '92 and a '99 Blade. The first is undergoing and extended service and re-fettle
and the is just waiting for me to road tax it, probably July for my birthday!!! Enjoy. D
Sorry, that should read the '99 is waiting road tax. D is for Dumpling!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup, these are fascinating gliding machines. Please share your experiences when you get them on the road.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have R&G crash bars on my 954. Have never tested them and hope that I need to test them :) Don’t know if they manage weight or will do more harm then protect.

Reactions: arthury

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
Here's a pic of my CBR ...
Certainly a nice looker. We don't have that livery in UK. Do you know if it is original Honda, or an aftermarket set? Reason I ask is the the Motul/Honda association didn't start until 2012 - to the best of my knowledge. I always find these intercontinental differences fascinating - hence my interest. This is the 2012 TT Legends livery:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My CBR started its life in Italy and transferred to the UK for trade shows for years. Then, given to an Englishman, who moved to the US. That's how I came into contact with it. So, it was an Italian CBR.

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
My CBR started its life in Italy and transferred to the UK for trade shows for years. . .
Thanks. Just for your interest, that would make it an 'ED' model which is a designation for 'European Direct Sales'. Only difference from the UK bikes as I recall is that there is some difference in the switchability from imperial to metrics re speedo etc.

I think you'll find that Honda, or whoever was showing the bike, had it repainted. You might find tell-tale sign inside the fairings. Purely academic of course - unless you're interested in the bike's history. Irrespective of where it came from, you have scored a really great looking bike and one that is totally unique. Congrats.

The original UK and Euro bikes looked like this pic of mine which I had until December last year:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
[...]
I think you'll find that Honda, or whoever was showing the bike, had it repainted. You might find tell-tale sign inside the fairings. Purely academic of course - unless you're interested in the bike's history.
[...]
Thank you, that's really informative for historical value.
How do you tell from the inside of the fairings if it was repainted?

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
The originals are pretty much all black inside. I would expect to see some overspray around the edges, but this is by no means a perfect way to check because a pro painter will not leave traces of overspray.

Under the rear seat should be a decal/sticker with the paint colour and colour code. I suspect it will match up to a standard livery. The attached link might help also.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts