Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I just passed my riders courses and got my bike on the road yesterday may18th 2012 and I was let down. I bought a Honda Nighthawk 250 with 4k original miles and thought I got a great deal, but when I took my first ride last night I found my bike with my big self on it won't go over 45-50 in 5th gear without overloading the motor. I bought the bike because I have to travel to my doctors every two weeks which is 30 miles from me and around town, but on the ride to the doctors is a 55mph zone and now I am wondering how to get my bike a bit faster. My dad is a mechanic and I want to know if adding a bigger sprocket would do the job, if anyone knows where I could get one, or a better carb please link me. In the meantime I am saving for a bigger bike. I look forward to being part of the forum, Thank you Jamie

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hello all I just passed my riders courses and got my bike on the road yesterday may18th 2012 and I was let down. I bought a Honda Nighthawk 250 with 4k original miles and thought I got a great deal, but when I took my first ride last night I found my bike with my big self on it won't go over 45-50 in 5th gear without overloading the motor. I bought the bike because I have to travel to my doctors every two weeks which is 30 miles from me and around town, but on the ride to the doctors is a 55mph zone and now I am wondering how to get my bike a bit faster. My dad is a mechanic and I want to know if adding a bigger sprocket would do the job, if anyone knows where I could get one, or a better carb please link me. In the meantime I am saving for a bigger bike. I look forward to being part of the forum, Thank you Jamie
250 is just too small for a big guy ... i would try to locate a used 600 or bigger , try & sell or trade your 250 ...... as for ways to get a little more out of the 250 ..... i just dont see it ...if you gear it for more top end ,it will likely bog down on you .. its already struggling....

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
:welcome: to the .org Actually adding a bigger sprocket in the rear takes away from the top end. Not a lot but does affect it. I'm not too familiar with the nighthawk models but maybe someone can chime in for you to give you some mods you can do to get a little more mpfff out of her.

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
:welcome:

Another option would be to keep your eye open for an even-up trade for an older 250 ninja while you save for the bigger bike. Lots of bigger guys on them at highway speed with no passing issues etc.
My buddy is just around 250lbs and his starts to run out of juice at about 70mph. Mine doesn't have the courage to go that fast yet..:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts

How big are you?
Does it go any faster in the the lower gears?
Where is the tachometer at 50mph in 5th?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts