Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given (bartered) for a 1993 750cc Honda Nighthawk. The bike has been setting for 5 yrs in the florida. I just got my tank back from getting cleaned and coated, fuel value (peacock) rebuilts. I got 4 carbs from ebay from runing bike the new(used carbs) are very clean and fuctionable.

I will be putting back together soon and try to start it. I need for college that starts May 11. College is a 54 mile one way trip. I am a laid off mechanical engineer and laid off math teacher.

SO if there are any tips, I would gladdly take them.

·
Registered
342 Posts
So what stage is the bike in? it getting fuel? spark? a little bit more info would be great.

750 nighthawk is a good bike. you will enjoy it

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Today I got it running after it sat for 5 years. Now I have a couple of problems. If any one can help.

1. I had my gas tank and peacock (fuel value) rebuilt and relined. I see no fuel from my gas tank. I got clean gas line hose. Any suggestion?
I filled the Carberators full of gas when I started it.

2. I Hear my one cyclinder valves are tapping. No oil? needs adjustments? or I did not run my bike long enough?

3. Are wheel bears hard to replace?

4. I have my front calipers off. How do get the cyclinders off to put new seals on them?

5. I need my bike running because I start college on Tuesday and it is costing me $12.00 a day in gas for my car where as my 750cc Honda Nighthawk should get me at least 50 miles/ gal.

Thank you for your replys.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Today I got it running after it sat for 5 years. Now I have a couple of problems. If any one can help.

1. I had my gas tank and peacock (fuel value) rebuilt and relined. I see no fuel from my gas tank. I got clean gas line hose. Any suggestion?
I filled the Carberators full of gas when I started it.

2. I Hear my one cyclinder valves are tapping. No oil? needs adjustments? or I did not run my bike long enough?

3. Are wheel bears hard to replace?

4. I have my front calipers off. How do get the cyclinders off to put new seals on them?

5. I need my bike running because I start college on Tuesday and it is costing me $12.00 a day in gas for my car where as my 750cc Honda Nighthawk should get me at least 50 miles/ gal.

Thank you for your replys.

1. Is there a vacuum line to the fuel tap?
2. Did you check the valve clearances?
3. Wheel bearings are a fairly easy job.
4. The simplest way is to pump the pistons out using the brake lever. Otherwise use compressed air.
Oh, and get a manual :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have to order a manual. I am a laid off math teacher and a laid of engineer, now going back to college for my Civil engineer degree. The state of Florida will not honor my degree from another state. It will be a week till a get a money to order a manual.

Yes there is vacum line to the peacock (fuel line.)

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
I have to order a manual. I am a laid off math teacher and a laid of engineer, now going back to college for my Civil engineer degree. The state of Florida will not honor my degree from another state. It will be a week till a get a money to order a manual.

Yes there is vacum line to the peacock (fuel line.)

Have you tried the public library system for a manual?
Then either the vacuum line is not drawing vacuum or the diaphram is not opening the valve. Or the tap intake is blocked?
You said the tank was coated with something?
I assume the tap wasn't left in it for that process?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am at the library now using the computers. I do not have the internet at home because of income loses. Tomorrow, I am going take the Peacock off and take it apart.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yesterday, was awesome. I got the bike running for 10 minutes.

The tapping went away, I believe the oil did not get to the heads yet.

Now I have two other problems.

Gas leaking from the t-hose conection that is between 2 carbs where the main gas line connects. I believe it is only the orings that need replaced.

The other small problem is the my hand controls spin the handle bars. I bought some shims make of brass.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Last problem I think for now, My handle controls on both sides are loose and rotate. I tried tape. Does not work.
Perhaps the handlebars have been replaced with some under-size ones?
You could drill a small hole in the top or bottom of the clamps and tap a short bolt into the handlebar. Maybe a 4mm hole through the clamp, then 3mm into the clip-on and tap a 4mm thread for an M4x8 stainless sockethead capscrew.

·
Registered
434 Posts
The tapping went away, I believe the oil did not get to the heads yet.
I would agree with your statement since the night hawk you have has hydraulic lifters. That means there is no valve lash to set. It is set by the lifter itself. So if the oil hadn't reached the head yet the valves would have to much lash and make a tapping noise.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
I would agree with your statement since the night hawk you have has hydraulic lifters. That means there is no valve lash to set. It is set by the lifter itself. So if the oil hadn't reached the head yet the valves would have to much lash and make a tapping noise.
Wow. I wasn't aware of any Japanese sportsbike that uses hydraulic lifters. Good stuff R5C :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got my carbs back, The motorcycle run great with a little missing at high rpms. I am now having some problems. My turn signals do not work, after market led from D2moto. The OEM do not work either. I need to get a mster cyclinder rebuild kit. after that a back tire. Then I am ready for the road. Does any one knows where to get parts cheap for my motorcycle. I need to get it running before Auguest when college starts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Waiting some more part be getting it stree legal. Main the master cyclinder rebuild kit. I need to stop. Need some help or advice, PLEASE. i JUST WIRED the LED trun signals, I got the to work. Now my horn, turn signals, and trail lights will not work. I need to be my motorcycle running by start of college (54 miles one way).I been starting my bike ever day. When it get rpms up and let go of the throttle and low idle I here a popping sound. Any suggestions to help me. Any one lives near me in Port Charlotte, fl.

·
Premium Member
9,082 Posts
Waiting some more part be getting it stree legal. Main the master cyclinder rebuild kit. I need to stop. Need some help or advice, PLEASE. i JUST WIRED the LED trun signals, I got the to work. Now my horn, turn signals, and trail lights will not work. I need to be my motorcycle running by start of college (54 miles one way).I been starting my bike ever day. When it get rpms up and let go of the throttle and low idle I here a popping sound. Any suggestions to help me. Any one lives near me in Port Charlotte, fl.
:hmm: blown fuse?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts