Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just moved to Pittsburgh from Florida after selling my R6. Hated to see it go, but last week I bought a 2003 954 rr with 6600 miles. everything stock and so far I like it a lot. I guess PA makes you inspect vehicles and I'm need for some tires among other things. So here goes my list of questions, If you guys can help answer any, then I would greatly appreciate it.

What are some of the reasonably priced tires that you guys use? I used to use continentals on the r6 with no problems, but everyone here seems to look down on them. Mind you I don't really abuse my bikes or ever go over 120 mph on them.

Most popular oil and filter for the 954rr around here and why?

I'm also thinking of adding a slip on for the bike. Would I need a power commander? Are they easy to install yourself? I was thinking of two brothers black series because of the looks/sound that i found around $350. anything that you guys think is better?

I know it is a long thread, but I really appreciate your input.

Thank you

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
:welcome:

My best experiences have been with the Pilot Power 2ct (make sure to get the 190/55 rear ). You can google reviews, but they're AWESOME tyres. The only time they've done anywhere near something like letting go was when I was on the track and accidentally chopped the throttle when leant over knee down, and even then it was just a little squirm to say "don't be so stupid" :D

As for oil, any motorcycle semi-synthetic will do you ok. Just make sure to change it often. I've used Honda HP4 for the last 6/7 years with no problems. I don't see the point in paying 20 dollars a litre for snake oil oil ;)

Power commander would definitely help if you add a slip on, but it's not essential. The ride will be smoother with it though. They're easy to install as long as you have a bit of common sense and can unplug a few electrical connectors and plug stuff into the right place. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Hey guys, I just moved to Pittsburgh from Florida after selling my R6. Hated to see it go, but last week I bought a 2003 954 rr with 6600 miles. everything stock and so far I like it a lot. I guess PA makes you inspect vehicles and I'm need for some tires among other things. So here goes my list of questions, If you guys can help answer any, then I would greatly appreciate it.

What are some of the reasonably priced tires that you guys use? I used to use continentals on the r6 with no problems, but everyone here seems to look down on them. Mind you I don't really abuse my bikes or ever go over 120 mph on them.

Most popular oil and filter for the 954rr around here and why?

I'm also thinking of adding a slip on for the bike. Would I need a power commander? Are they easy to install yourself? I was thinking of two brothers black series because of the looks/sound that i found around $350. anything that you guys think is better?

I know it is a long thread, but I really appreciate your input.

Thank you

Tyres are just tyres, whatever you find will be just fine. And they don't last long anyway so if you don't like one try something different next time.
I'm running Shinko's currently and can't fault them.

Oil doesn't matter, any good semi-synthetic motorcycle oil will be fine. Keep it clean though, that's what matters. Stick with OEM air and oil filters.

No, you don't need a power commander for a muffler swap.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
:welcome: to the .org

·
Registered
83 Posts
:plus1: for the 2ct.
I always use them on my 1098 and as of last week also have them on my 954. But then my only aim from a tyre is grip and high speed stabilty not milage or price. There are cheaper, better wearing tyres out there which may prove better value for steady street riding though if this is a factor for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts