• Helmet laws suck

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm riding around in Iowa (a no lid state) just across the Missouri River from downtown Omaha (er, Homoha) yesterday.

I'm behind a young kid on a screaming yellow zonkers SV650, last year's naked. In traffic on a busy four lane road, he downshifts and brings it up for about a full block before having to get the thing whoa'd for traffic ahead. No helmet.

Later I meet a guy going the other way aboard a gorgeous V-Max, the new black model with twin gray rally stripes up the tank. He had what looked like Dale Walker cans on it. Sounded wonderful as he hammered that V4 WFO past me and up a long hill, then over the crest while still giving it the whip. No helmet.

Don't we have to protect people from themselves in situations like this?

Personally, I like helmet laws. Even though I'm a firm believer of states' rights, I say pass a federal lid law and be done with it.

My .02 worth only. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I would like to ride down to the gas station and get a pop, or even ride downtown without a helmet (legally that is). But other then that anything over 45-55mph It just doesn’t feel safe.
I'm for helmet laws because they save lives, PERIOD! If I didn’t have my helmet on in January I would surely be dead (60mph on ramp to the interstate, not a downtown cruise mind you). I think it also saves 'some' of the lives of newbies too.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
It's a tough one, but I definitely side with the no-helmet-law camp. The reasons are many and varied, as are the ones for making helmets mandatory. I do think that riders that wear helmets should get breaks, like in insurance costs, lower property (bike) taxes, etc., or something along those lines.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Helmet laws blow. So do seatbelt laws. Who the hell are they to preach to me what I should do for my own safety? I know the statistics and know that both save lives but if I'm dumb enough not to wear one that should be my choice. Not wearing a helmet never hurt anybody else but the person that doesn't wear it. Natural selection.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
ND4SPDSHO : That's a fine idea 2OH, but the thing is, there's no way to enforce that.
Sure there is. If you're found to be lidless after an accident, you get a charge-back on whatever you got a break on, and maybe even lower insurance coverage/no coverage, since you knowingly deceived and/or broke the contract. Just one solution

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
pennsylvania will go helmet optional on sept. 6th 2003. i am eagerly awaiting the increased insurance premiums. i and my girlfriend will continue to wear helmets, my cousin well???????? he may be a different story but then he rides an R1 so what does he know.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
I think we should be allowed to wear mesh helmets in the states with helmet laws.....

After all...'they do provide a nice layer of protection that might not otherwise be there'

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Baketech : I think we should be allowed to wear mesh helmets in the states with helmet laws.....

After all...'they do provide a nice layer of protection that might not otherwise be there'

Fark dat, just use lots of hair spray

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
thebackdraft : Helmet laws blow.  So do seatbelt laws.  Who the hell are they to preach to me what I should do for my own safety?  I know the statistics and know that both save lives but if I'm dumb enough not to wear one that should be my choice.  Not wearing a helmet never hurt anybody else but the person that doesn't wear it.  Natural selection.

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
Sorry Chain, gotta go w/the 'pro-choice' group. I just think it should be an individual's decision whether or not he/she wants to become a statistic - always have, although I've never ridden (in 40 years of riding) without a helmet. Same with seat belts. As far as affecting insurance, I won't even go there - those bastid vultures are gonna keep raising rates no matter what you do/don't do.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Pro-choice here as well, although you won't catch me on the bike without my helmet! Not even for a run to the store for a soda or something....

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Let ME decide, and stay the #### out of my life. I have no problem with people splitting their mellons on the asphault, usually the only do it once. Whats next, make pedestrians wear orange vests to prevent hit n runs? How about make bicyclest wear full leathers? If 3 point seat belts are good, why not 5 point?

·
Registered
276 Posts
yeah i say legislate some heavier punishment for child abuse domestic violence and dui and leave the dummies that want tokill themselves alone . i will always wear a helmet because i have crashed and was knocked out but got up and walked away !

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
My helmet has saved my life in the dirt numerous times, so I don't need to be told what it could do for me on the street, but I think the natural selection deal should run it's course here.

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
OK, so far in this thread I have 8 against mandatory helmet laws, 3 in favor (barring the compulsory smartass comments ). The voting shows a slight edge for the 'in favor of' group, yet the antis are doing all of the posting. How come more of you that are for this legislation are not commenting?

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Bacchanalia,
Probably little response either way because the original post was a shameless troll....

Coming off the recent Phoenix thread, my guess is that the author is trying to find what would 'appear' to be a contradiction in attitudes....

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm not sure about the helmet law. I guess I'd be on the mandatory side. But what I think is MORE important is mandatory eye protection. If your riding a MC and get an object in your eye (bug, dirt, road debris, etc...) you lose the ability to safely operate your vehicle. I could care less about the idiot that doesn't want to wear proper eye protection be it a full face helmet or glasses. But I am concerned if he plows into another vehicle or pedestrian.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I am glad I live in a no helmet state. It should be your choice. If Illinois became a helmet state, it would not matter to me. I do own four helmets and wear them most of the time.

·
Registered
276 Posts
i agree if this guy would have had eye protection he would have been ok well ok being a relative term

1 - 20 of 68 Posts