Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just have a question about helmet headset setups. Have been looking into getting some speakers for my helmet and a mic to use on a two-way radio, but after a lot of looking around I got a little confused with all the different types out there. Basically all i want to be able to do is listen to some music but have it setup so if i key the mic or someone else is talking to mute the music. When reading about the different types of setups there seemed to be a lot of talk concerning what could work with what and lower and upper cords not matching. So basically is there anything relatively cheap out there that can hook up to an mp3 player and a simple two-way radio(that has a remote key i can toggle on the handlebars) that i can fit in a full face helmet? thanks for the help.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Check out ChatterboxUSA! . They have the perfect setup for what you are looking for. I use the GSMR X1 in my full face helmet. Bought it cheap from Ebay. You can plug your mp3 player directly into the main unit or buy the more expensive bluetooth version and when someone talks it automatically mutes the music. It has the speakers and mic that mount inside your helmet for a clean install. If you want to ride without the main unit they have an adapter cable to plug your mp3 directly into the speakers mounted in your helmet.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info. Since u have the GSMR X1 can you tell me how the sound quality is at highway speeds and how well the mic works with some wind noise? Also,(probably a stupid question) can the GSMR X1 work with other radios from people on other bikes or do you have to have a chatterbox radio for it to be compatible? I'm also looking into getting a hookup for the bike so i can plug in my phone(which is my mp3,gps,phone) for long trips, not sure if i would be able to plug in something like the chatterbox or not since most of it is near the helmet, but worth trying i guess.

·
Registered
834 Posts
thanks for the info. Since u have the GSMR X1 can you tell me how the sound quality is at highway speeds and how well the mic works with some wind noise? Also,(probably a stupid question) can the GSMR X1 work with other radios from people on other bikes or do you have to have a chatterbox radio for it to be compatible? I'm also looking into getting a hookup for the bike so i can plug in my phone(which is my mp3,gps,phone) for long trips, not sure if i would be able to plug in something like the chatterbox or not since most of it is near the helmet, but worth trying i guess.
The sound quality depends on how quiet your helmet is at normal speeds. I installed an NOJ quiet rider on the bottom on my helmet to reduce wind noise. A chatterbox system can talk with any other chatterbox plus it works with most all portable hand-held radios. This is why it comes with so many channels so if riding with a group you only hear the group and not everyone in the area with a similar radio. You may want to look at their bluetooth version. I can plug my ipod directly into the unit for music and if I purchased another cable could plug in my cell phone. I keep my ipod in my jacket and run the wire over my shoulder and out right at the unit. Depends on your riding style and how much gear you wear about how many wires with be visible. The bluetooth X1 will allow you to use your cell phone handsfree plus you may be able to listen to your music too. The bluetooth will reduce the number of wires since the unit with speakers and mic will be mounted in your helmet and the main unit on the outside.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome, thanks for the help. I'm thinking about getting the xbi or something very similar so i can just plug in my phone and music for trips, and then maybe later upgrade with a radio so I would be able to talk to others. Thanks again for the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts