Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys recently bought a 02 954 it had been salvaged but for such a good price i couldnt resist it, the bike runs great but its giving me an error code of 28 ?? dont know wha that is. Also there is a litle knocking coming from the bike at low speeds not sure what that is but doesnt affect the runniung of the bike. any help on either situation would be greatly appreciated, thanks

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
the first time is 2 long blinks then 8 fast blinks and if i hold it longer i get 3 long and 5 short ?

35 is the HTEV servo motor.
8 is the TPS so check that.
18 is the cam pulse generator.
1 & 2 are the MAP sensor.

Have you done anything to the bike recently?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no i havent done anything to the bike but ride it. i literally got it 4 days ago and i have to get it inspected tomorrow so i was wondering what the lights meant.

i can obviously see where the 35 code came from but are the other option you have there in case i read the first (28) wrong or is that how the code should have been read ? maybe i shoudl have kept holding it to see if any other codes showed there nasty faces

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
and also do you have any insight on the tapping/knocking im hearing at low speeds ? ive heard the 954 has some noticable tranny noise but is that something i need to be worried about ? the bike runs and shifts great ?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
no i havent done anything to the bike but ride it. i literally got it 4 days ago and i have to get it inspected tomorrow so i was wondering what the lights meant.

i can obviously see where the 35 code came from but are the other option you have there in case i read the first (28) wrong or is that how the code should have been read ? maybe i shoudl have kept holding it to see if any other codes showed there nasty faces
Since there is no 28 I just gave you some possible options but you'd do better to check all the sensors if you have a bunch of errors.
Does the bike ride okay?
Is it a Cali bike with an O2 sensor?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
and also do you have any insight on the tapping/knocking im hearing at low speeds ? ive heard the 954 has some noticable tranny noise but is that something i need to be worried about ? the bike runs and shifts great ?

I can't guess what a noise might be but since you have MIL 35 check the HTEV is nice and tight. If the bushes are gone it can get noisy.
Is the noise in line with engine revs or road speed?
Is only while stationary or with the clutch out?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i dont think the bike is a cali bike ? it was bought in NC so maybe not. The tapping in the bike goes along with the speed of the engine while its pulling, it stops when the cluth is pulled in. but taking off 0-55mph ou hear a tapping nothing crazy loud but im def noticing it. and yes the bike rides great, no problems with power at all (got ticket today :) but im just trying to get this stuff fixed or at least know what it is so i can get it inspected. also the guy bypassed the kickstand does that pose a problem ?

·
Registered
38 Posts
piston slap is probably the noise. Apparently it's something to do with honda weight saving measures. My 954 sounds like a bag of nails till it warms up then it sounds lush but the tapping is always there. I've just ordered a beowulf end can to drown out the tap ;-)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that makes me feel better i guess, i didnt figure it was anything serious since it ran so good, is that piston slap a problem to worry about ? it doesnt sound to good?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
that makes me feel better i guess, i didnt figure it was anything serious since it ran so good, is that piston slap a problem to worry about ? it doesnt sound to good?

It's not piston slap.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
piston slap is probably the noise. Apparently it's something to do with honda weight saving measures. My 954 sounds like a bag of nails till it warms up then it sounds lush but the tapping is always there. I've just ordered a beowulf end can to drown out the tap ;-)

The weight saving measure you refer to are the very thin crank cases.
The engines do not suffer from piston slap.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well thats what i got told from everyone, but i dont know my ass from my elbow when it comes to mechanics.

I guess the proof is if the engine stops working or not

Google

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Well thats what i got told from everyone, but i dont know my ass from my elbow when it comes to mechanics.

I guess the proof is if the engine stops working or not

Google

If you want to check for piston slap:
Remove all the plugs except one.
By hand, turn the engine until you get the piston halfway up the cylinder on the compression stroke - it will be hard to keep turning against the compression.
At this point the piston is under pressure against the crank so if you gently rock the crank back and forth you will clearly hear the skirt of the piston banging the wall of the cylinder.
Do the same with each cylinder as it's unlikely to be more than one that's a problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts