Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, love the forum by the way, have used it for good research in the past and decided to join because I now need some help here. Ive been searching for people with similar issues but can't find much if anything relating to me.

So, as usual the OEM Auto CCT started rattling on my F4i around 5K RPM. I ordered an OEM replacement because I heard Honda had manufactured an updated piece to replace the original CCT. I did some quick safety searching before tearing my bike down to the engine.

Took of the gas tank, disconnected fuel line from fuel rail (bent fuel line detent in process) and removed throttle bodies, didn't mess with anything other than vacuum hoses.

I put it back together and got an FI light, so I found the missing vacuum line for the MAP sensor and hooked it back up, started up just fine, sounded great, took it for a spin.... not so great. The power it had prior to the CCT install was amazing, it was hard not to do 70 or 80 on the highway. Now, if I gun it, I can barely get past 80 mph. Sounds like **** at high RPM's. All power is gone at high RPM's, there is just no response whatsoever. So, I figured the fuel line must not be lined up with the inlet on the fuel rail, so I lined it back up after marking it with a pen and bending the fuel detent back to its original position. The fuel pump primed and sounded fine, didn't sound like too much pressure was built up. Took it for another spin and the same problem. No power at all. At WOT it would probably take a good 500 or 600 yards to increase 10mph at higher RPM's.

My bike has a Power Commander III as well, I never disconnected the battery, and don't believe this would be thrown outta whack but, what do you guys think? I check and made sure none of my fuel lines were bent, pinched, or clogged. I don't understand why I'm having these issues. It ran fine before all of this, I put it back together just fine. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wonder if your timing jumped a tooth when you changed out the CCT. Did you TDC the motor first?
I've never heard of anyone TDC'ing before the CCT install. It does have the symptoms of retarded timing and I'm looking into the timing issue. I didn't move the bike at all after removing my busted CCT.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Hey, love the forum by the way, have used it for good research in the past and decided to join because I now need some help here. Ive been searching for people with similar issues but can't find much if anything relating to me.

So, as usual the OEM Auto CCT started rattling on my F4i around 5K RPM. I ordered an OEM replacement because I heard Honda had manufactured an updated piece to replace the original CCT. I did some quick safety searching before tearing my bike down to the engine.

Took of the gas tank, disconnected fuel line from fuel rail (bent fuel line detent in process) and removed throttle bodies, didn't mess with anything other than vacuum hoses.

I put it back together and got an FI light, so I found the missing vacuum line for the MAP sensor and hooked it back up, started up just fine, sounded great, took it for a spin.... not so great. The power it had prior to the CCT install was amazing, it was hard not to do 70 or 80 on the highway. Now, if I gun it, I can barely get past 80 mph. Sounds like **** at high RPM's. All power is gone at high RPM's, there is just no response whatsoever. So, I figured the fuel line must not be lined up with the inlet on the fuel rail, so I lined it back up after marking it with a pen and bending the fuel detent back to its original position. The fuel pump primed and sounded fine, didn't sound like too much pressure was built up. Took it for another spin and the same problem. No power at all. At WOT it would probably take a good 500 or 600 yards to increase 10mph at higher RPM's.

My bike has a Power Commander III as well, I never disconnected the battery, and don't believe this would be thrown outta whack but, what do you guys think? I check and made sure none of my fuel lines were bent, pinched, or clogged. I don't understand why I'm having these issues. It ran fine before all of this, I put it back together just fine. Any suggestions?

Was the tensioner fully retracted when you installed it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Was the tensioner fully retracted when you installed it?
Yes, when I installed the tensioner it was retracted with the set pin still in the CCT. After I tightened it down, I pulled the set pin and heard the "clank" of the tensioner being released. Afterwards I removed the nut from the cover of my old CCT and placed it on my new CCT.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
No one knows anything?

Nothing I can think of.
Have you checked the fuel pressure regulator is good?
Are all four headers running at similar temperatures?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I later talked to my dad and he confirmed what I was thinking that perhaps the chain had skipped a tooth. So, I took it to a cycle mechanic around me who said it sounded like I skipped a tooth after I took the old CCT off and put the new CCT on, without keeping tension on the cam chain. So he took it apart and sure enough the exhaust cam was off by one tooth. Luckily all my valves had proper clearance. So he timed it for me, checked all my valves, nothing needed adjusting. Just got it back yesterday, put my fairings and tank bank together and now it runs like silk. So, for future reference to anyone looking for a similar issue, check your cams. I couldv'e done it, but I'd rather a guy who has been a dealership mechanic for suzuki mess with my bike than my few months experience with motorcycles "experience" messing with my bike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Scratch that. One day of riding and at the end of the day, on my way home the bike started giving me troubles again. I was riding at about 45 mph and stopped at a light only to notice that my RPM's were lugging below 1000 and it sounded like the bike was struggling to keep idling. So I figured it must be a temporary issue, etc. I kept riding and the bike died on me at the next light, so I started it up and took off and noticed that my bike once again totally flatlined at top end. Around 6000 the bike just flatlines and has no power whatsoever, just like before. So, I took my bike back to the guy at CC Cycles and he told me its probably not out of time and figured it could be my Power Commander III. Well, I ran a zero map, a stock map, and a Yoshi map, all with the same results. The next step would be removing my PC3. However I am starting to doubt it would be the power commander. So far I have a couple options, the FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator) as suggested by bladeracer. My fuel pump (though it primes just fine) and my stator. I'll continue to update this thread with successes or failures. If anyone could throw more suggestions out there, that'd be great.

Also, my mechanic said when he looked in the cylinders he could see signs of pre-ignition and suggested a higher octane fuel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Went home after work last night and tested my FPR. Took off the vacuum line and primed the fuel pump and the FPR did not leak and showed no signs of leaking. Also found that my left side intake was not properly hooked up to my ram air jet, but after getting it connected again, the bike didn't run any differently. Also, last night riding around it began viciously dying everytime I would stop, barely able to keep the bike running. After returning home it was idling just fine and didn't die. I've been thinking about the rectifier or regulator, but my battery holds charge. Could it be the stator? Plugs going bad? My mechanic told me the iridium plugs fired just fine. I still haven't removed my power commander. I read somewhere about a guy having similar issues but people were suggesting that perhaps he had negative pressure built up in the gas tank due to a bent breather line from the fuel tank. This morning I checked my tank, but didn't hear too much "vent hissing" but did notice that there wasn't a ton of fuel left. I'll ride it when I get home to check if the venting made a difference. If that doesn't help, I'll move on to checking the power commander. No matter what map I put on the PC, it still runs like crap.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts