Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone and sorry for my english.

I have bought a '00 929, 20000 km on the odometer.

I noticed a slight and regular tick noise that seems to come from exaust mainfold-exaust valves.
It is during al rpm in cold and warm temperature there is no difference at all.. i
s it normal for 929 engine to be "clicky" or need i a valve clearence checking job?

It is not cam chain in my opinion because noise is uniformly diffused.

I've another question.
IS it normal, turning on the key, for the red check engine light TO BE ON together with oil spy until i crank and turn on engine?

Thanks in advance for all of you can help me

sorry for my english.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CBRBob said:
Sounds like the fuel injectors.
Mmmm :( i don't think.

The sound i was referring originates mainly in the exhaust side valves but propagates along the exhaust pipes.

It seems like gas pulsation impact on exhaust pipes "thin" sidewall
or could be a valve noise too (i don't know if it is normal) that propagates along pipes.

That's why i was asking if it is normal for 929 to be normally "clicky" in the exhaust side compairing to the 919 in older CBR that seem a lot less noisy.

I can isolate injector sound (click) very well above and near airbox.. but noise i was reffering is different.

:crying::crying::crying::crying::huh::huh::huh:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Welcome Cammelo,
I've just taken my full system off and put the stock system back on and its very rattly compared to the TBR full system.
I'm sure its coming from the HTEV valve.
Most 929's I've heard all sound a bit rattly,I wouldn't be too worried.

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
if its coming from inside the engine could just be the valves. they are a bit noisy, nothing to worry about. if its the exhaust could be something stuck in the HTEV valve underneath the engine.

:welcome:

·
Registered
454 Posts
Hi cammelo,

Have you checked the oil level lately ? I just bought an '02 954 (private - not from a dealer) and after riding home hearing what sounded like ticky valve noises discovered that the previous owner had not maintained the recommended oil level - it was down by around .5 to .75 of a litre !!

Once I had replaced the oil and filter - filled to the right level the engine was nice and quiet again...

Worth a check anyway.

Cheers, Spanky.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
you guys that say its the valves, you haven't heard the noise he speaks of...

Sounds like someone is hitting the headers and block with a hammer... My 2001 did the exact thing and from all I can tell, it was damn near bullet proof still when I sold it.

I think its normal, welcome to the site!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Spanky said:
Hi cammelo,
Have you checked the oil level lately ?
Once I had replaced the oil and filter - filled to the right level the engine was nice and quiet again...
Thanks for all of your suggestions.

It sound like "a thin clicking" like gas hitting thin pipes sidewall from exhaust head port to HTEV valve.
I initially thought could be an exhaust small leak or small crack. I can hear clicking driving... am i paranoid?

i replace all my old oil & oil filter by myself about three days ago but noise it's unchanged. Really and exactly the same.
I bought 4 liters of Castrol R4 superbike 10W40 and original oil filter.
Previous owner oil was not so bad and level on the check window was correct before and after the replacement.

Do you think full sinthetic "Castrol R4" 10W40 too "thin" for this engine?
I read of a bullettin saying that Castrol GPS mineral based semisinthetic
should be mandatory avoided on this engine so i took R4.

I ask two honda service to ear my engine: they all say it is normal
but i would ask other engines so i hope i'll be a little less worried.
i dislike that older 919 engine were so less noisy! and from what i can read 954 are less noisy too!

·
Registered
24 Posts
cammelo said:
Thanks for all of your suggestions.

It sound like "a thin clicking" like gas hitting thin pipes sidewall from exhaust head port to HTEV valve.
I initially thought could be an exhaust small leak or small crack. I can hear clicking driving... am i paranoid?

i replace all my old oil & oil filter by myself about three days ago but noise it's unchanged. Really and exactly the same.
I bought 4 liters of Castrol R4 superbike 10W40 and original oil filter.
Previous owner oil was not so bad and level on the check window was correct before and after the replacement.

Do you think full sinthetic "Castrol R4" 10W40 too "thin" for this engine?
I read of a bullettin saying that Castrol GPS mineral based semisinthetic
should be mandatory avoided on this engine so i took R4.

I ask two honda service to ear my engine: they all say it is normal
but i would ask other engines so i hope i'll be a little less worried.
i dislike that older 919 engine were so less noisy! and from what i can read 954 are less noisy too!
I had the same sound on my f4i. I thought it was an exhaust leak so i replaced the metal gaskets where the headers meet the head and it helped for a few days but then came back. I also had the valves adjusted just because it was that time in the bikes life and it didnt help either. However, when I put the stock exhaust back on to sell it it went away. I never figured out what it was but it never caused any problems.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I vote for "it's normal". See posts above.
:welcome:

·
Registered
454 Posts
Don't worry about the oil - that R4 stuff is pretty good from what I hear. I run Mobil 1 5W50 with no problems.

I don't remember my 929 being overly noisey, but then it had a Yoshimura can on it which probably 'masked' a bit of the engine noise.

I guess from reading some of the posts here, perhaps you could try dropping the exhaust system off and replacing the seals - making sure you carefully tighten the headers back-up to specification ?.

- Spanky.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts