Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 1993 CBR 600F2 that will not start and am dying to get help with it because I dont want to tear it up trying to figure it out. History... Purchased it 5 years ago this summer from the original owner with low-milage (8,000) and it ran beautifully for the first 3 seasons. Ill save you the details but it sat for about the last 18 months. It has almost 12,000 miles on it now. I put sta-bil in it when I put it up last. At the end of last season I got it out and even though I had been trickle charging the battery it was shot even after charging again. So it stayed in the garage. With spring coming this year and ready to go I bought and charged a new battery, drained the fuel tank and lines, replaced the fuel filter, cleaned and oiled the K&N filter...and tried to fire it up and nothing. Well nothing as in it turns over and over and over and it did backfire pretty big a couple of times and has made a sound like it is sucking in through the pipe like something out of a science fiction movie a time or two but still nothing. I opened the two outer float bowls to be sure I had fuel running through and it does. Can you help??? I cant spend a lot but I can do the work.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
I have an 1993 CBR 600F2 that will not start and am dying to get help with it because I dont want to tear it up trying to figure it out. History... Purchased it 5 years ago this summer from the original owner with low-milage (8,000) and it ran beautifully for the first 3 seasons. Ill save you the details but it sat for about the last 18 months. It has almost 12,000 miles on it now. I put sta-bil in it when I put it up last. At the end of last season I got it out and even though I had been trickle charging the battery it was shot even after charging again. So it stayed in the garage. With spring coming this year and ready to go I bought and charged a new battery, drained the fuel tank and lines, replaced the fuel filter, cleaned and oiled the K&N filter...and tried to fire it up and nothing. Well nothing as in it turns over and over and over and it did backfire pretty big a couple of times and has made a sound like it is sucking in through the pipe like something out of a science fiction movie a time or two but still nothing. I opened the two outer float bowls to be sure I had fuel running through and it does. Can you help??? I cant spend a lot but I can do the work.

Carb rebuild required is my guess.
Does it fire and run if you spray starter fluid into the intakes?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not tried to spray it into the intakes yet. Is it safe to remove the fuel tank and and spray it in and turn it over without the tank hooked up? I have never completed a rebuild of carbs, have tore them down and cleaned them (not on this bike) in the past. Is it difficult and or expensive? How long will the sta-bil work in the gas? It sat for a long time not just a couple months and wondered if the carbs are gummed up because of. I appreciate the response and help, probably will need more of it...

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
My bike never sits long enough, without running, to have any issues with fuel, but when I once DID stable the bike for the winter, I put some SeaFoam in EACH full tank, as soon as it seemed that winter was very near - my point being that doing it this way, the agent is able to mix in not just the fuel in the tank, but in all the lines and circuit passages - get circulated through the whole system.
Did you run the bike significantly after adding the Stabil? or just put some in the tank after your last ride?
At any rate - fuel stabilizer or not, you could still have some gumming going on, after it sitting for that long - so, I would start with a simple carb cleaning.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts