Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I just bought an 02 954 with 22k miles and changed the plugs on it. The old ones were a little gunky on a few cylinders. The compression test seemed consistent. New plugs ran great for a day of riding but now I am making smoke when I hit the throttle and losing power. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
smoke up thru until you let off the throttle or a burst of smoke just after you let off the throttle?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for getting back so quick. It's a puff of smoke when I hit the throttle. I'm not leaking oil but there is some seepage around my oil filter

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
i should have asked these questions as well so excuse that but what color is the smoke? white blue or black? you mentioned it losing power so is it safe to assume it smokes while its being rode? are we talking it smokes all the time or just when its cold? what temp does your bike run at when driving under normal conditions? you said you did a compression test, do you recall those readings and did you do a leak down test as well? the oil around the filter, just a leak from the filter you think or is it from above the filter? the loss of power, how is that expressed? under load or do you mean its missing while it revved in neutral?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was getting dark so I'll check again tomorrow and lift the tank, but it's almost certainly dark oil smoke. It only smoked at idle when it was cold. Granted its pretty hot out here, if it's sitting at idle I wanna say it's around 215 degrees on the thermostat. I must've had a bad fitting on my compression kit I borrowed because it read only 32-40 on all cylinders and it definitely makes more power than that. It was consistent though. Should've done leak down but did not. As for leak I need to recheck with the fairings off, but I think it's around the filter itself. As for power loss, it's less explosive when revved and needs more throttle to get up to speed.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
so the smoke looked blue then? if it was black id say its running rich and white is more of a coolant or moisture thing blue being oil. any smell associated with the smoke? i kinda doubt the oil leak around the filter has anything to do with it but you should get it fixed anyway. sound like the filter was probably just put on to tight but your oil cooler is just behind the filter.
see if the smoke changes color from cold to hot tomorrow. some smoking when its cold is pretty normal but thats just usually from moisture in the pipes and pretty light. report back with the smoke color in as best detail as you can. when you said you had the plugs out n they were gunked up what does that mean exactly? like a lot of black carbon build up or white or like any oily build up?

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
here isa link to download the manual if you dont already have it. its not real big to download and is in pdf format

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Hi guys. I just bought an 02 954 with 22k miles and changed the plugs on it. The old ones were a little gunky on a few cylinders. The compression test seemed consistent. New plugs ran great for a day of riding but now I am making smoke when I hit the throttle and losing power. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose is dry?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
It was getting dark so I'll check again tomorrow and lift the tank, but it's almost certainly dark oil smoke. It only smoked at idle when it was cold. Granted its pretty hot out here, if it's sitting at idle I wanna say it's around 215 degrees on the thermostat. I must've had a bad fitting on my compression kit I borrowed because it read only 32-40 on all cylinders and it definitely makes more power than that. It was consistent though. Should've done leak down but did not. As for leak I need to recheck with the fairings off, but I think it's around the filter itself. As for power loss, it's less explosive when revved and needs more throttle to get up to speed.

Did you have all four plugs removed and the throttles wide open for the test?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had the other 3 plugs in when I did the test and didn't hit the throttle. So this is bizarre. I started the bike today and the power was back and there was little to no smoke after warm up. I kept an eye on it but rode for an hour with no problems. I'm a little hesitant that something could go wrong again but if it's not broke I won't try and fix it. I did notice my coolant boils a bit after shut off. Thanks for the quick feedback, I'll keep you guys posted with the progress.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
well i guess keep us informed man but im pretty sure the cause of the miraculous fix was all the good positive thoughts i was sending your way. i mean of course br is the main telepathic bike healer on the site but im taking claim on this one.....

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
well i guess keep us informed man but im pretty sure the cause of the miraculous fix was all the good positive thoughts i was sending your way. i mean of course br is the main telepathic bike healer on the site but im taking claim on this one.....

That's worth way more than anything I could do ;-)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Somebody blessed it for now but hey I'll take it..baffling though. There was definitely some power loss yesterday and I swear that the bike was the one smoking and not me.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
hmmmm is there like an equivalent to a hypochondriac for bikes? seems kinda like somebody was just playing us for some extra attention? lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That would be a sad day but it probably happens. Who doesn't like a little attention now and then? Two of the plugs were wet and had some black build up. Is the smoking just to be expected with an older bike like this? The dude I bought it from wheelied the **** out of it god knows how many times

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
well my 03 954 smokes very lightly just right after i start it but its barely noticeable n only for the first few seconds after its started n warms up just a bit. anything other than that could be a host of problems like an injector issue or even a really dirty air filter can make it run rich which produces black smoke from unburnt fuel or it could be a valve issue or if its more the blue smoke it could mean the rings are not as tight as the could be specially if it stops after its hot n the rings have expanded from the heat but thats typically more of a high mileage kinda thing not that you couldnt have a similar prob at lower miles tho. a gasket could be leaking letting coolant into the chamber causing smoke thats more white n has the smell of antifreeze but it could be a lot of things. like i said my 954 only has 10,000 miles n doesnt really smoke at all. if it runs well and your not loosing oil or coolant id not really worry if it was smoking a little tho. guess it just depends on how bad it is.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just put a k+n filter in today and its definitely revving up quicker. The smoke has pretty much gone away for now. Im noticing the coolant is super dirty so I'm gonna flush it out and see what it does for me. Now that its running strong I'm so glad I went for this bike though over my friends 2002 gsxr 750. No contest there.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
i feel ya. ive owned several 750's a couple gsxr's and a zx7r. i personally liked the zx7r the most but i grew up loving that bike and even tho it was a tank it handled awesome. i wont say anything bad about the gsxr because they make a pretty good bike. however, a few reasons why i like my 954 better; i think the stock suspension on the honda is miles ahead of the stock gsxr set, it might only be 15bhp more than the gsxr but ill take it, its only 4lbs heavier or about the weight of your helmet n whatever is in your pockets right now, the build quality is a step above any suzuki ive owned. its a bit early for a long term report from me on reliability at this point tho.

yeah man id go ahead n change all the fluids, brake coolant oil(forks included) just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
His white/blue gsxr 750 is fun and cool looking but the motor sounds like a whiny electric toy next to the growl of the 954, plus with my stainless steel lines this bike STOPS quick. I'm buying some new michelin pilots to replace my old ones today and after that I'll do a fluid change on it. Any opinion on power commander for this bike? worthwhile?

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
i dont have one on mine and unless you have a full exhaust itd probably not get you much. id personally put that money towards suspension or something a little more useful than the extra 15hp a 1500$ full exhaust and 350$ power commander will get you. i just think this bike is plenty fast enough for the street. im planning on putting just a bolt on pipe really just because id like it to sound a little louder n meaner but thats not really looking for hp gains. with the slip on or bolt on exhaust you really dont need the pc. of course it doesnt hurt but just kind of an expensive 3-5hp if you ask me.

ive just got road pilots on mine and i guess thats not the ideal track tire obviously but i ride like my hair is on fire and havent had any traction issues out of them and they last a long time over like a q3 or something similar. im just now getting mine really scrubbed in well but there pretty good to go rigt out of the box. ive got about a 1/2" chicken strip on either side. anyway good tires. ill probably try something else this next time a little more performance oriented like the s20's. probably put the 190/55 on it n see how that is.

n yeah another reason i like the 954, the brakes are really good. probably the best ive had on any bike actually.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts