Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi im new to this so please help!!!!
i have a "98" blade its a 918
basically what happens is when i give it power it goes then if you ease off and then back on the power its splutters away for about 2 seconds then takes off again. this has been going on for about a year had it to the garage they say the carbs are fine so dont no what or where to go next. if anyone can give me some advice that would be great
cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
did think that at first
but the garage i use came well recommended from a few diffrent mates and thay have always sorted my other problems with no hassel

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Sounds like jetting to me.
Does it do it everywhere in the rev range or just in a specific place?
Is it only when you shut the throttle and then crack it wide open again?
If you're cruising and wind it wide open does it pull okay?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it started off only at high reves but is getting worse lowers down aswell
if i am at full throttle then shut it off ive tried to open it slowly and it still splutters, and if im just cruising then open it up its fine thats whot i dont understand, someone told me it might be timing and to get it dynod not sure if thats a waste of money (they guy was a bit of a (######) so not sure if a should belive him hence the forum
thanks

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
if you have excess slack in the chain and are riding agressivly enough to use the engine to slow down from high rpms before a curve, it's possible to jump timing a little.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Do you have a standard air filter and exhaust fitted? If not, I would go with jetting. I have a BMC air filter and (road-legal) can fitted, and sounds like I had the same problem. I took it to a dynojet centre to have it re-jetted to suit the can and air filter and it solved the issue.

HTH

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Good point.
I forgot to ask my number one diagnostics question!
Was anything done to the bike prior to this problem occuring?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
its got a diffrent can on it (not legal)
and the fault was there when i bought the bike about a year ago

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Then I'd suggest it needs jetting to suit the can.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Look at one of the needles. I'd bet a cold one that someone has needle 1 or 2 notches too high. Most people naturally think that "more is better" which isn't always the case. If clip is lower than #3 notch, it's probably too much and causing your sputter when you reapply the throttle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts