Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well let me start with that the kill switch is on the on position since most of the threads related to such a situation usually has that comment.

I changed the motor on my bike and have been troubleshooting why i don't hear the priming sound from the fuel pump. The hum when you turn the bike on. i have cheacked the bank angle sensor and it is working correctly. if i add power to the fuel pump it starts to run. i have changed the fuel cut relay, the engine stop relay and the ecm in hopes that they problem could be there. the bike is in neutral and when i press the starter button it cranks just no fuel delivery.

Any advise would be great heading to daytona friday and it would be good to have a bike to ride for bikeweek since the trip is already paid for.:mad:

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Is your ground hooked up and tested?

I had a similar problem, and I'd loosely tightened the ground bolt.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Is the bike turning over? I assume it is spinning because you don't mention otherwise.

I agree with checking all grounds as well as fuses.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Hmm....missed those when I skimmed it. If those items are really good, then it would have to be a loose connection somewhere.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked the Green gouond wires that are bolted to the frame and they are secure. Any advise on the connection to check. I also disconnect the wire for the fule pump and found that when the switch is cutoff is turned on only one of the brown wires is recieving some power. the other brown wire is not getting any power. does anyone know if they should both be getting power. Also on the cutoff relate 2 black wires recieve power but not the 2 brown ones.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Do you have the shop manual for your bike?

I only have the one for the 929, but it actually has very good troubleshooting procedures for problems like this.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If by the shop manual you mean the service manual i have a cd with it that i am trying to use to track down the issue but it is not as helpful as i hoped

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Yeah, that's what I mean.

Those illegal CD's suck. You should'a coined up the money for the real paper one. $40 is cheap to be able to flip through pages when you're working on something in the garage.

I've never had a 900, but in the 929 manual they have great troubleshooting stuff, but you're flipping back and forth all of the time.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Sorry, I haven't had the 929 for awhile so I can't remember details, but other thoughts:
The fuses, Engine Stop switch, Fuel cut off relay, Engine Stop Relay. I would double check those relay wires.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
luvtolean said:
Yeah, that's what I mean.

Those illegal CD's suck. You should'a coined up the money for the real paper one. $40 is cheap to be able to flip through pages when you're working on something in the garage.

I've never had a 900, but in the 929 manual they have great troubleshooting stuff, but you're flipping back and forth all of the time.
That is what i was going to get but me being a computer geek i wanted something on the computer so i could print as needed but when i got the cd i was disappointed that it was just a scan and i just never needed it yet.:crying:

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
If you can fire the bike with the fuel pump jumped you have either a loose wire somewhere in the system, or you have a bad relay. I know you said you checked the relay, but there is the chance that it is failing under a load.

Make sure to check all of the wires throughout the wire harness and make sure you have power everywhere that power should be. Then if all that checks out get a new fuel pump relay just to make sure all looks good.

I hate electrical problems.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Custom900 said:
I hate electrical problems.
:nod: They can make the most ardent atheist get down on their knees. :smilebig:

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just want to throw in another suggestion that I haven't seen mentioned. That is a pinched or shorting wire. I'm going through a couple stupid electrical glitches myself but mine were well documented in the troubleshooting chart in the shop manual... Hope you get her running bro, good luck.:crap:

·
Registered
768 Posts
Is the sidestand connector plugged in? I'm not sure if it cranks if that is not connected, but I'm know it wouldn't start or stay running without it. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
I had this exact problem a few years back. It turned out to be one of the four wires leading into the ignition switch had broken the solder connection to the PCB board inside the ignition switch housing. Probably broke due to stressing the wire while dropping the motor.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks you all for your help and advise. Tonight i am going to be working on my baby with the fine tooth comb and trying to check for every last detail and hopefully in the morning i can let you know what the problem was/is.

·
Registered
18 Posts
HISS....something about a 3v drop from the ignition to tell the ECM to fire up the pump, cant remember which wire it was but look for one of the wires in the ignition connector to have 9~10v...Had the exact same problem. But then again I don't have the HISS at all on mine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts