Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some may remember last winter/Spring (Australian) i had electrical issues with my 954, i thought i'd solved them but the bastards are back......

PROBLEM: While riding everything on the dash stops working except the indicators and high beam light. On occasion i have to cancel then re apply the indicator to get it to flash on the dash. However while not displaying anything the actual guages etc still work as the clock holds time. It did do this last winter and got progressivley worse to the point it began cutting out while riding but i'm not at that stage yet (and don't want to get there).

I found it slightly weird that as it starts to get cooler here in South Australia my problems have re emerged, problems that were not present at all during late spring/summer and hence warmth.
I have a fair load on the battery however ride every day so it gets charged every day.

BATTERY LOAD: (In addition to standard load)
Turn signal integrated mirrors (spliced into the fairing indicator wiring loom)
Speedohealer with top speed recall
Shift-i Shift light/electronic tacho
Electronic trunk release
Xenon blue headlight globes (Not HID kit just brighter globes)

If it's useful i have noticed that when bike is on idle the lights go slighltly brighter/dimmer with the motor, not a huge amount but noticeable.

The battery is only 6 months old, i thought about the dreaded Honda Reg/Rect issue but surely the temp wouldn't effect this and if it did wouldn't it be worse in the heat than the cold.

The bike is also running a PC3 and full hindle exhaust if that matters.
All help appreciated
Cheers

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
a: if you have a buddy with a 954, swap the display to see if it's the display. that would eliminate the display or bad electrical.

b: logic wouls dictate that when it's cold, everything shrinks theus if the connection wasn't good in the first lace then maybe connector or wire shrinkage would break a connection somewhere in the circuit.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it was a combo of things;

The Reg/Rect was melted together so much so that i think it had been like that all through Summer and maintained somehow to do it's job till i fiddled with it.
I'm now sporting new connectors and a TLR 1000 regulator as it's larger, but will still be watching it like a hawk. So the charging system is working again but still had no display.
Then i pulled the fairing off and got at the main loom connectors next to the radiator gave it a liberal squirt of CRC and a good clean out, reconnected and it all lit up like a christmas tree.
Fingers crossed that's the end of that.
Cheers for all the help btw.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.