Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, Folks... I'm hoping you guys can help me out with this annoying issue. I'll try to supply as much info as I can/have. Please give me ALL feedback, cause at this point in time, I'm stumped. Here goes...

I (obviously) have an issue with my 01 929, pseudo "overheating". I began noticing my temp gauge jumping around erratically. It would normally run around 82 degrees C (179 F) on the open highway, 70 degree F ambient temp. For some reason, after running for awhile, it will climb to beyond 95 degrees C (203 F), while running at 65 MPH, in 75 degrees. Once there, it seems to go nuts! The temp gauge can read 110 + degrees C, up to about 132 degrees C (269 F).

What I've learned:

1: When its acting erratic, the fan doesn't seem to turn on until the temp gauge reads 125 degrees C or more.

2: The bike doesn't "feel" as hot as the temp gauge is reporting.

3: The temperature seems to "jump" around, going from 123, to 115, to 111, to 118, all in a matter of 5 to 6 seconds.

What I've tried:

First, I tried replacing the thermostat. I figure it was sticking. Had the work performed by the dealer (cha-ching!). Problem remains.

Next, I tried replacing the temperature sensors (2). (cha-CHING!) Problem remains.

The fluid has been changed twice (once with each of the above services), and the levels are good. I'm kinda stumped here, guys. i say kinda, because I have an idea, but its more expensive than the other two (combined), and I'm tired of guessing with my wallet. Has anyone seen this behaviour, before? Any ideas, at all?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
If I were in your shoes, my next step would be to check all wiring and connectors associated with the sensors and gauge. Possibly a bad ground or loose connection somewhere.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now THATS something I didn't think of (...and its FREE)! Thanks, dB. I'll take a look at that tonight. Any other thoughts...?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
CbrRydah said:
Any other thoughts...?
No, that pretty much taps me out for now. :D Doesn't sound like you have an actual over-heating problem though, just a bad measurement.

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
although I don't think the fan relay will affect the guage check the wires to it (125C is a bit high for the fan to come on isn't it? should be around 102C, 217F)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I checked that, and you're right. That is a bit high, for the fan to come on. I think the fan comes at the right temp. I believe the gauges are just reading the temp wrong. I wish I had an extra gauge cluster, so I could check it against a known-good unit. Honda wants $600.00 for the unit, and after paying nearly $500.00 for the aforementioned repairs, I'd rather see a red-light on the dash, than pay that kind of money to "maybe" fix the problem. I've been calling around to salvage yards, and there are 2 on ebay, that I'm watching, so if the the connector isn't loose (thanks again, dB), and the contacts aren't dirty, i think I'll grab one of those, and see if there is a difference. If anyone has ANY other suggestions, really, I'd love to hear'em.
-Dane

·
Registered
332 Posts
As a real cheap fix, is there a way to "short" the sensor and force the fan to just stay on while the bike is running? Anything "bad" about doing that?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok you said you replaced the Temp Sensors...is there a fan sensor switch? I dont have a wire diagram but Im guessing theres a sensor just for the fan ...plus more than one temp sensor...I would follow the fan wires to the rad (sensor) ..and remove them ...fire up the bike ..wait until 100 C and touch the wires together and the fan should come on ...leave it on until the temp begins to drop...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
As weird as it sounds, I don't think the problem is temperature related. I think the problem is the gauge, itself. I started to check the ground at the connector, but to get to the back of the unit requires removal of the front cowl, which requires removal of the middle fairings, which requires... so I will perform this task during the course of this week. I did, however, find a simple test which should be sufficient for confirming or denying my suspicions. After checking the grounds (connector on the back), I will detach the coolant temp sensor and place it in a pot of heated water. Inserting a thermometer in the pot will tell me exactly what the temperature of the water is. If, at that time (and, as I suspect) the temperature gauge jumps around, while being exposed to a constant temperature, OR if it reads the temp incorrectly, it must either be the sensor (which was just replaced) or the gauge, itself. If it is the gauge, at this point, I'll just ignore it, rather than spend 600.00 on a new one (If I can't get the one on ebay.). It is also possible that the "tech" damaged the sensor, when replacing it. A new sensor is only 40.00 or so, so I can change that out, just to eliminate all variables. The last combo gauge on ebay is damged (broken mounting tabs), but if it works (??), I could swap out the electronics, and place it back in my unit's case. I just don't want to pay a huge amount for a gamble, so I just may end up ignoring it, rather than guessing with money.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where is the DUHHHHHHHH, Stupid Icon? I figured it out, and it only took me a little over half a season! While researching another problem (fuses blowing) I noticed turn-signal wires (pos and gnd) touching, and shorting out. I corrected this, and PRESTO!!!! Correct temp readings. I'm no automotive engineer, but I'm guessing the voltage was feeding through the harness somehow, and throwing my readings off for the temp sensor. I've run it like this for a month now (including some of the hottest days in August) just to make sure. The demons have been excorsized!! This bike is CLEEEEEAAAAAN!!! (sorry, I watch too many movies).

Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts