Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really need help...I removed my tank and air box to get to my plugs, when I put every thing back on and started the engine, it was very hard to get started. I adjusted the idle and the bike started but idled extremely rough and stalled frequently. The FI light remained on, and the red engine light blinked in succession twice each time continously. I didn't remove all the plugs, only the right one to inspect for deposits and it was fine. I have no idea why this would happen, I don't know what I could have screwed up. I was thinking maybe a vac line or air box not sealed completely. Would that cause this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. By the way, this is an 02 954. Thanks

·
Registered
469 Posts
Lift up the fuel tank and check the O2 sensor is plugged in. Check the cables are all firmly seated on the spark plugs. Check for pinches or otherwise misaligned cables etc. Should be hard to pinch a fuel line though, as they are high pressure (as compared to carby) and usually fairly large. Is it that you've got your idle speed set too low? You said you adjusted your idle speed, did you do this before of after the spark plug check?

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
There is also a "map sensor" plug that attaches to the right side of the airbox, about 4/5 of the way to the back. I accidently left it unplugged and had similar problems. It's easy to forget coz it kinda dissapears when you unplug it.

Z...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, I took everything back off and checked all the lines, reseated the one plug wire that I had removed and made sure everything was reconnected and unpinched. The bike started with the fuel tank proped up and the air box off, but when I put it back together, I couldn't even get it started. It just kept on turning over. Sigh! I guess I will have to take it to the shop. (which sucks because it has to be something simple.)

·
Registered
31 Posts
WhooHoo said:
well, I took everything back off and checked all the lines, reseated the one plug wire that I had removed and made sure everything was reconnected and unpinched. The bike started with the fuel tank proped up and the air box off, but when I put it back together, I couldn't even get it started. It just kept on turning over. Sigh! I guess I will have to take it to the shop. (which sucks because it has to be something simple.)
Hate to repeat the above suggestions, but are you absolutley sure you're not kinking the fuel return hose when you lower the tank. I had intermittant starting problems and stalling at idle when mine was slightly kinked. It is the larger slip on hose at the left rear of the tank, next to the smaller diameter breather hose. It is in a really nasty spot and hard to get routed properly.

Also I attached the troubleshooting page of the service manual for this problem, in case you don't have it.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info, I don't have the manual but that page is helpfull. I will follow the directions and see what happens.

·
Registered
386 Posts
rodan said:
Hate to repeat the above suggestions, but are you absolutley sure you're not kinking the fuel return hose when you lower the tank. I had intermittant starting problems and stalling at idle when mine was slightly kinked. It is the larger slip on hose at the left rear of the tank, next to the smaller diameter breather hose. It is in a really nasty spot and hard to get routed properly.

Also I attached the troubleshooting page of the service manual for this problem, in case you don't have it.

Best of luck.
Once you kink the hose the first time, it will kink in the same spot pretty easily too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ahhhh, finally it works. Yep, it was a kinked hose and it just needed to be replaced and repositioned. Now everything is fine and I can stop thinking about why my bike isn't running all day. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
162 Posts
For future troubleshooting remember that there are usually 3 things that lead to hard to start conditions. Compression or the lack of. Fuel to much or to little. Ignition or the lack of. While sensors would certainly point toward rough idle, and poor running conditions, they often do not point to hard to start conditions, or to say not near as often as the three things listed above.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts