Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Left my computer for awhile and when I returned I had some funky looking DOS box and an error message telling me some progam.exe failed (dummy me didn't write down the info.). I tried going to both the Norton and McAfee sites to get the latest updates and each time I got knocked off line. And now I can't run my Norton Anti-Virus program either...it won't boot up.

So what do I do? Should I go to the store and buy the Norton CD and try to run it that way? I'm clueless here (in more ways than one when it comes to computers) so ANY help would be appreciated! :crap:

EDIT: Now it knocks me off line even when I try to access this post...must be something about the word "Virus" ?? :idunno:

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Red Rider said:
Left my computer for awhile and when I returned I had some funky looking DOS box and an error message telling me some progam.exe failed (dummy me didn't write down the info.). I tried going to both the Norton and McAfee sites to get the latest updates and each time I got knocked off line. And now I can't run my Norton Anti-Virus program either...it won't boot up.

So what do I do? Should I go to the store and buy the Norton CD and try to run it that way? I'm clueless here (in more ways than one when it comes to computers) so ANY help would be appreciated! :crap:

EDIT: Now it knocks me off line even when I try to access this post...must be something about the word "Virus" ?? :idunno:

Sometimes you can dial-up and download the new def's, then run a scan. That fools the crappy virus's, chances are the store shelf virus def's are as old at yours. also it might be spyware, or adware not letting you do anything either. Most antivirus programs do not even pick that up. I would suggest ad-aware, or spybot s&d for that. :( check your security levels in internet explorer. I know they sometimes can be changed by spy/adware. :(

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Can you have a friend burn the latest definition/DAT on a CD for you? Also have him burn Adaware, Spybot and Mcafee Stinger Util.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Red Rider said:

The latest CD doesn't have the "latest" definitions. If possible download the updates at work or at a friends place burn them to a CD or something and install them that way.

Sounds like you might have a spybot or a virus that specifically attempts to block anything that will get rid of it. so as I said in the other thread:

try running:

Spybot: Search and Destory
http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download

or Panda Softwares Virus scanner (relatively unknown and not targeted by the Virus or Spybot so it should still run and get rid of it, then you can go back to the one you were using, update it and install a firewall)
http://www.pandasoftware.com/download/software/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts