Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone

i got my 954 last tuesday i'm abolutley smitten with. it i parked it up after rideing it back in the rain then the next day i went out to dribble over it and noticed a knocking coming from the rear shock/ link/ swing arm area of the bike when i sit on it. i got my wife to sit on the bike and i watched the shock and link and swingarm and there isnt any sign of any play in the bushes so i took it back to the shop and after three mechanics took it in turns to give it cardiac compressions on the pinion seat they decided that it must be a stone trapped between the spring and the shock and they would have to have the bike for a day to remove the shock and sort it out. its still under warranty so i shouldnt have to pay anything but does that seem right about the stone or is there something else it could be i dont wont to get fobbed off and in six months time when all the grease they've pumped into it has gone be in the same situation.

all your help would be appreciated.

cheers martin

p s, brilliant web site

·
Registered
902 Posts
:welcome: I hear what your saying about a problem later on, get them to put a note in you service book, and sign it. If there is a problem relating to the work they do you then have levaridge. The knock could be a stone depending on what it sounds like, if it was me i would have the front seat off and check under there first, something loose maybe. If it is a worn bush then give the shock a good yank in both directions to see if there is play, if you cant get in there bit of wood each side and push....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Re: help knocking from rear shock advice needed

thanks rick

well i've been out to the bike and i've pushed pulled levered and squashed the shock and everything around it but still no signs of anything untowards.
all i get is the shock travels about 2-3mm then there's a knock and then it carries on but theres no step in the movement its still smooth. all i want to do is go out on it even though the mechanic said it was safe i'm still weary. does anyone know how to tell if a shock is knackered without taking it off.
cheers martin.

·
Registered
143 Posts
First up i'd lift the bike up by the subframe and take off the shock linkages. you'll at least be able to tell if its in the linkages or the swingarm.
you can get a certain amount of movement in the top shock mount as well doing this.
Personally haven't heard of a shock doing this and not leaking or losing damping. But that doesn't mean much with my limited experience.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.