Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks, im new to the forum and having a bit of a headache with my '96 RRT.

its got a rattle that sounds to be coming from the top end. it only does it while accelerating under load (stops if you just use a light throttle) and letting off on the over-run. (im not sure if it stops past a certain revs as you can't hear much over the sound of the can/ wind rushing past your helmet!)
the bike has got 37,000 miles on the clock and before i owned it, there is no service history at all.

up to date, ive replaced the cam chain tensioner, checked the valve clearances and balanced the carbs.
it's also had a full set of big-end/ main bearings, fresh plugs/ oil/ air filter etc...

i had considered the possibility of faulty plugs/ leads, but with there being no hint of a misfire, is it likely? especially as it seems sensitive to engine load...

although this is my first blade, and as such, i have nothing to compare it against, it seems to have plenty of power and doesn't misfire/ surge at all.

the only other thing i can think of is a worn cam chain now?? how long are they meant to last? could it be a bent/ burnt valve? (although if it was, wouldnt it be noticeable at idle too?)

please can some of you good folks offer me some guidance as im getting :rant:with it, and don't want to keep throwing money chasing this damn noise as its spoiling an otherwise amazing bike!!

hope someone can offer me some advice.

cheers:thumb:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Will be interested if you find an answer. I have changed everything you have including the chain. I have even took the head off due to snapped exhaust bolts but found no problem. I once read that all Blades do this to varying degree, reason is short piston skirts but i don't know how true this is.

·
Registered
213 Posts
alot of carb fireblades suffer from a high rpm piston slap noise, normally between 6-8000 rpm, this could be what you are hearing, its nothing to worry about, loads of early fireblades have it, i've had a few in the past with it. The only other thing you could check is wear to the cams.

·
Registered
213 Posts
oxymoron alert!
I suppose 8k rpm is low then, to some people this is high, to other people its mid range, it depends how you ride, if your not going to help, then keep your dick head comments to yourself, and stop wasting this mans thread, he wants help, not smart arse comments from some crazed oap.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm surprised you didnt replace the camchain as well.I've had a blade with a worn camshaft lobe, and it was only noisy at idle, but you would have spotted any major wear when you did the valve clearance's.It could be a combination of camchain and guides.When I replaced my camchain, it cut the noise and vibration by half, but without hearing the bike run, im only guessing.That blade had 60,000kms on it, the camchain was worn,(you could see the slop by eye when pulling on the links) but the guides had only a tiny bit of wear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I JUST START TO GET A SAME RATTLE OR SIMILER. AM THINKING THE RATTLE YOUR GETTING IS COMING FROM YOUR CHAIN GUIDES AS IF YOU REPLACE YOUR TENSIONER BUT LEFTH THE GUIDES AND CHAIN. THE GUIDES MAY BE WORED OUT AND THATS WERE YOUR GETTING YOUR RATTLE FROM IF YOU HAVE TIME OPEN THE CAM COVER AND SEE WHAT YOUR GUIDES LOOK LIKE. ALSO BE CAREFUL AS NOISE TRAVELS THROUGH METAL IT MAY BE COMING FROM SOME WERE ELSE AND YOU JUST HERE IT FROM THE TOP COVER KEEP US POSTED. DONT FORGET PIC TOO

·
Registered
118 Posts
To inspect the camchain guides, they have to come out of the engine for inspection, which means cams and camchain out as well to get at them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
To inspect the camchain guides, they have to come out of the engine for inspection, which means cams and camchain out as well to get at them.
I changed the guides at the same time as the chain but still no difference. I am beginning to think it is one of these things you can keep throwing money at forever and a day. I will follow this thread with great interest. Could it be clutch basket?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Almost classic small ends.... BUT I agree that it could be piston skirt rattle too. Both are load, not rev sensitive so its a bit difficult getting your ear down there when accelerating.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi guys I'm new to the site but was wondering if anyone got any further with this issue. I recently bought a 1997 rrv with exactly the same problem. Ride it gently and no noise open the throttle a little bit more and rattles like mad.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Same exact symptoms on my 1996 900rr 15500mi. I have been searching posts and find most cct cam chain problems are audable at low rpm and are not always described as load sensitive. Im looking into the problem had a mechanic listen to it and he said, "thats really weird, may be the main drive bearing-but there is no oil leaking from the seal..." so im taking it to another shop to see if I can get another opinion. Let me know if you solve the mystery.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Almost classic small ends.... BUT I agree that it could be piston skirt rattle too. Both are load, not rev sensitive so its a bit difficult getting your ear down there when accelerating.
does anyone have audio on skirt rattle? Any advice on recording skirt rattle at high speed ill try to get an audio clip.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i have same problem on my 1997 RR-V 16,000 miles driving me mad would be interested to know what it is does it sound anything like the one in this video
noise starts at 0.03sec in and again at 0.20sec in

·
Registered
13 Posts
i've seen a few with bad cam bearings ..it ruins the head..i wonder if anyone ever welded them up and had them aligned bored ..or even put oversized bearings and had the head machined for the oversized bearings

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
i've seen a few with bad cam bearings ..it ruins the head..i wonder if anyone ever welded them up and had them aligned bored ..or even put oversized bearings and had the head machined for the oversized bearings

Cam bearings?
Very few bikes run cam bearings, and I can't think of any inline-fours that do.
The cam journals sit in the head itself.
While it's certainly possible to weld up a damaged cam journal in the head and line-bore it, I doubt it is cost effective compared to simply replacing the head.

·
Registered
13 Posts
yes you are correct i've had both head and crank journals scared up..had to replace them..for what it was worth shipping them to canada i think a good friend who welds and another with a lathe would have been cheeper ..trouble is now that things are getting older they junk these bikes for the exact same thing sometimes as what one is looking for

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
yes you are correct i've had both head and crank journals scared up..had to replace them..for what it was worth shipping them to canada i think a good friend who welds and another with a lathe would have been cheeper ..trouble is now that things are getting older they junk these bikes for the exact same thing sometimes as what one is looking for

Damaged cam journals is usually due to poor oil maintenance, either low oil or old oil, often both. And it usually does more damage than just scoring the journals, the heat also warps the head.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts