Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please, would someone who still has the stock headers/HTEV on their bike mind looking at their servo motor (visible from left side of bike just inside top frame spar) and post which cables go to which slot in the motor? I made a note as to what was what when I took the servo motor off 3 or 4 days ago and now can't find it to save my arse. I usually make my notes directly into the manual for just this reason. Gads what an idiot and a moroon. Any help would be very much appreciated.

TIA to anyone who would go to the trouble to let me know.

Bush

·
Registered
248 Posts
HaHa, I did the same thing on the other end of the cables at the HTEV, couldn't remember which cable went over and which went under, and what position the notch should be at etc, the service guy at the shop drew a blank, so I didn't let them touch it, and the shop manual is ambiguous at best. Soooooooooo I've just had it locked in the wideopen position since last October..........mostly because I'm lazy........

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oldschoolcbr : ..the shop manual is ambiguous at best. Soooooooooo I've just had it locked in the wideopen position since last October..........mostly because I'm lazy........
Shop manual is ambiguous at best to be sure in this case.

I think the flapper cable (the one with the 2' long hex shaped affair) goes in the top slot on the inside (right side) of the servo, the #1 cable (spring loaded) goes in the bottom slot on the inside (right side) of the servo, and cable #2 goes in the single slot on the outside (left side) of the servo.

HERE'S MY DILEMMA: I may be reversing #1 and #2 cables, though, and that's my point of confusion.

I'm ding nigh 100% certain that the flapper cable goes in the top slot on the inside (right side) side of the servo motor.

bush

ADDENDUM/EDIT: I just talked with a mechanic at the GOOD HONDA DEALER here in town (Honda of St. Johns). My suspicions outlined above are indeed correct. As you look at the drawing on page 5-99, which is upside down, the 2 slot side is: the top cable in this drawing is the flapper cable and the bottom cable is 'cable #1' (spring loaded), the HTEV adjusting cable. On the 1 slot side: this is 'cable #2,' the slack adjusting cable.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Thanks for the input, I may try to switch them around this weekend..............Sorry I can't help you with your problem...........I'm sure someone will, this site rocks for technical info.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oldschoolcbr : Soooooooooo I've just had it locked in the wideopen position since last October..........mostly because I'm lazy........
this brings to mind a story my dad (a native Arkansan) told me several years ago. He stopped at a gas station to fill up his rental car. The fellow there opened the tank to fill it, saw the unleaded fuel insert and said something to the effect of '...the first thing we need to do is pry THAT outta there so you can burn leaded gas!'

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you're doing this here's a precaution: Beware of the directions in the manual when adjusting the HTEV cables. When you short the service connector to try to get cable #1 and cable #2 to the 180 degree position, it's easy to overtighten them. If these cables are wrenched up too tightly then the servo won't be able to go to the full stop position. If left like this while you try to fidgit with the cables to try to achieve what the manual says you'd ort to, (service connector shorted thru the entire process) the motor will fry. Or at least mine did. A good indication that the cables are too tight is that your the flapper's range of motion is decreased.

I ended up doing all the adjustments on cables 1 and 2 with the ignition off and checking by starting the engine after each twist of the nuts.

FWIW

Bushrod

1 - 6 of 6 Posts