Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Recently had a major service on my '16 fireblade - Runs a lot better and smoother since service but bike is now overheating - temperatures reaching 124C in stationary traffic (and the red light comes on a 121C) but cools to 98-99C when on a clear road. I've checked coolant (that's fine), fuses (they're fine)... checked the fans function and can only feel air from the Left-hand fan (nothing from the RHS). Looking in the Honda workshop manual i can only find reference on how to remove the Radiator and Fans. Is there any way of checking the Right-Hand fans function prior to dismantling the radiator etc (major surgery for a non-mechanic)?

Seems a coincidence that this issue arises a day or two after having the service but cant see how they could have damaged a fan (i'm working on the theory that it's pure coincidence!)

Any advice on how to remedy this would be most appreciated.

Many thanks
Floppy

·
Registered
242 Posts
Just to clarify, what do you mean by "major service" exactly? Are we talking about an oil change, sparkplug change, coolant drain/fill, brake bleeding, etc or another maintenance procedure (valve check)?

Did a shop perform the work or did you tear into the bike yourself?

Chances are pretty good that it is NOT a coincidence that your right side fan stopped working after the recent service (something was likely overlooked - could be something simple such as an unplugged wire harness/connection, etc).

IIRC, the workshop manual should indicate what temperatures the fans activate at - is it possible you are not reaching the threshold for the 2nd fan turning on?

Not sure if both fans turn on at a certain temp or if they are "stepped" and the 2nd fan only turns on at a higher temperature (at least I thought that was how my '11 blade's cooling system functioned - I could be off on that part though).

G'luck troubleshooting !

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it was a full service including plugs changed, filters changed, valves checked etc. Although a service was indeed needed, everything was working fine prior to service- and i used a reputable workshop to carry out the service (I'm knowledgable enough to do a service of this level).

102C for 1st fan and 106C for 2nd fan are stipulated in the workshop manual - Temp was @118C when i checked the fans and noticed only the LHS working. - Have had 5 or 6 blades in the past 8 years (and never had this issue with any of them)

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,314 Posts
If the radiator and/or fans needed to come off for the shop to do the service, it could be as easy as air in the system or a connector that was not re-connected. A 2 stage, off set fan set up, what will Honda think of next? :rotfl: Man, I love carbs :wink

Take it back to the shop and let them figure it out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got to the route of the problem. Ascertained there is power going to the fan but the fan seems to have seized - even resistance when i try to manually turn it (feels like it rubbing hard on something). Looks like a new fan should do the trick.

Thanks for the advice guys

1 - 6 of 6 Posts