Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I Own a CBR600rr 2003 model with 9000miles on the clock. To cut long story short as I was about to pull out of the drive the engine stalled and has never restarted.

I use the bike everyday to get to work which was anything from a 10 to 40 mile ride each day, until the last 3 weeks where it has been a 4 minute ride to work.

I own this bike for 4months and done 500miles, and for those miles I have been using regular unleaded petrol instead of super unleaded

I took the path of disconnecting the Power Commander which made no difference.

At which point I passed it onto a friend who is a bike mechanic.

1. Plugs where checked and are fine.

2. On turning the ignition on you can here the fuel pump. (there is fuel in the bike , as I checked and filled it half full)

3. When trying to start the bike he opened the throttle wide and you could hear a slight attempt to start. But very slight.

4. When he did a compression test the psi was 80 or less for each cylinder.

5. On taking the engine apart there is heavy carbon build up!?! Could this be from the short 4minute ride to work?

He is hoping that on cleaning the pistons it will work, but who knows.
Any ideas as we have been banging our heads against a wall with this??

Many Thanks

·
Registered
902 Posts
If you use premium fuel, you are going to have LOTS of carbon buildup. Its baked on like epoxy and is not easy to clean.

You'll need a good fuel mixture, compression, and spark to create those explosions you need. A good battery will really help. That's about it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi dattaway,

Ok, that could have been a very expensive mistake by me. I ran my standard 954 blade on regular for 20,000miles without a problem, so I assumed it would be ok for the 600rr. I didn't put much intelligence behind my thinking!

Would the carbon build up cause the low cylinder pressure?

Thanks for your help in advance

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Twincam,

For the last month the bike had been ridden in 4 minute busts with a 80mile stretch out one a week. The 4 minutes it would have been low rpm, 6000 or less.

I am thinking if the power commander had been incorrectly mapped, plus the regular petrol and low rpm for the final weeks could have cause it? But I am only guessing!

But would the carbon build up have caused the bike to stop running??

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts