Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and the bike went down today on some gravel at a corner . Cracked the stator cover and the case. oil was all over the place. question is, can i weld it, and if yes should i take the whole engine out? and what kind of welding should it be? and if not, what the part that i should be looking for? is it the whole stator case, since i noticed that its made of two parts glued together.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Ride safe and beware or the frikken gravel!!!!!:rant:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
i would think you can weld that. its a little hard to tell from the pictures tho. i would find a pro welder n let them do it unless youve got plenty of experience welding aluminum.

·
Registered
328 Posts
A good welder can fix it. They will want the engine out. It can be done in the bike but remember, the will need to flip the engine almost upside down.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Sorry did not answer rest. It would be ac tig welded not dc. Full argon. Area needs to be very clean and free of oil. Block any holes leading back into case with a wet rag. The part you broke is the case, basically the engine block. Might as well get it fixed or buy a used engine. The surface will be uneven after welding and will require silicone and the gasket. The cover I am sure is broken and is about $70 from Honda. Check your flywheel to see if it rubbed and you will also probably need a new stator.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sent it down to the shop couple of days ago. My mechanic said it wouldn't be right to weld the old stator cover and put back on, so we ordered a new one for about 40$of ebay. he said basically he'll bolt the stator cover back on the bike,flip it up, and weld that crack close. I really hope this works, although I've read about these cases, that no matter what how good you weld that crank case, there will always be a tiny bit of leaking happening there.. Im really hoping this won't be the case with my case (haha)
Darn you gravel!!!!

Thanks for the help guys!
Cheers!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts