Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Have an issue w/ my 01 929. The bike is erratic w/ starting up. Typically if I start it after sitting more than 3-4 hrs, I have to jump it. Once I jump it, I have zero problems and as long as I start it every few hrs, it's fine. Checkd the voltage when it was running and it was around 14.3, 14.4, so I would assume the battery is fine.

Yesterday, I rode it. It had sat for 5-6 days in the garage and when I tried to start it, it just didn't have enough to turn over. I jumped it and it was fine. Rode to work and parked it in the sun at about 10 am. Went out at 3 PM to show it to a co-worker, biek fired right up. Went out to leave work, it was about 15 degrees cooler and wouldn't start, attempted to turn over, but it was very weak.

Any ideas? I don't know where to start to look, because there is no consistency. Last week it sat outside my house, not started for two days, but then fired up w/o a jump. It took a bit longer than "normal", but still started.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I replaced the battery on Saturday afternoon. No issues, bike strated right up everyday until today. Rode home from work last night, parked at 8 pm, then went to start it up at 9 am this am, it wouldnt start, basically just trying to start until it went dead.

This a regulator/rectiifer issue? anybody?

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
Well, I replaced the battery on Saturday afternoon. No issues, bike strated right up everyday until today. Rode home from work last night, parked at 8 pm, then went to start it up at 9 am this am, it wouldnt start, basically just trying to start until it went dead.

I would think it's more likely the stator but check both as they fail regularly.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts

If it was cranking fast and not starting, it has nothing to do with the starting/charging system. I seem to remember something about the injector plugs. But it was years ago.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What are some checks I could do with a multi meter and what not. I am not used to the new style bikes with fuel injection. I am used to older bike with Carbs and electronic ignitions. I haven't any problems on my older Yami's but on my old F3 I had to replace the rectifier because it wasn't charging properly once it was warmed up. Could someone tell me what to check and maybe how to do it?

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
If it was cranking fast and not starting, it has nothing to do with the starting/charging system. I seem to remember something about the injector plugs. But it was years ago.
What are some checks I could do with a multi meter and what not. I am not used to the new style bikes with fuel injection. I am used to older bike with Carbs and electronic ignitions. I haven't any problems on my older Yami's but on my old F3 I had to replace the rectifier because it wasn't charging properly once it was warmed up. Could someone tell me what to check and maybe how to do it?
Was it cranking fast or not???:rant:

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
The workshop manual has all the information you need to diagnose any problems. Get a copy.
For the basics, put a voltmeter across the battery and confirm that voltage is rising instead of falling when the engine is running. Voltage should be something like 14.0-15.5V at around 5000rpm but the manual will have the exact specs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.