Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '03 954 that has had the M.D. Wright LED integrator installed on the rear taillight.Everything went fine,all lights flash/function normally.Today i attempted to install some front LED flushmounts from www.thesmithboys.com.Very fast flash rate.I then tried a set of "normal" flushmounts with the same result.The LED's have an apparent resistance of .500 M ohms.Although the meter fluctuated,this was the average.The "regular" flushmounts have an apparent resistance of 1 ohm.Try as i may i could not get an accurate reading of the factory turn signal filament.I'm in a mess here. :crying: I need to find the resistance of the factory filament,and then somehow get the flushmount resistance to match.UGH!Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
It's a little tricky because the resistance of the incandescent filament changes as it heats up. You could probably find and add a resistive load that would work but how about a solid state flasher like the one at Libertek? A bit spendy, but you set the flash rate and never worry about the resistive load again. :)

·
Registered
463 Posts
ConqSoft said:
Or just go to Radio Shack and pick up some resistors like Flasher2001 (and I) did.

Pics of mine: Pic 1 Pic 2

Details on Flasher's site: http://www.flasher2001.com/shortstalks.htm (Wiring diagram at the bottom right.)
Hey Conq, Are you getting any heat from those? I just fitted mine with a single 10ohm/10watt resistor. The rate blinks great but they do start to heat up a bit if the flasher is on for a while. I was able to mount them whereas they are not touching anything, but it would be more assuring to get the heat down.

I'm thinking of adding another 10ohm/10watt resistor or trying to find a 10ohm/20watt resistor as I'm told this will decrease the heat.

Update: Just read the link Conq, looks like I'm heading to the shack for a 50ohm/10watt resistor.

Thanks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You hook up the resistor in parallel?I tried that and it actually decreased my resistance.I thought it went in line with the positive wire.And what if i get too much resistance,will i burn something up? What if i leave it the way it is,will i burn the flasher up? (The flasher relay is integrated into the combination meter on the 954.)UUUGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!! This is driving me mad!!!!!!!! :mad:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Success!!!! After trying several different resistors,i landed upon a 10 ohm 25 watt resistor.Bingo!Correct flash rate.It has to flash a little while to even get warm,so i think i've hit it right.Time will tell i guess.Thanks for all the input guys.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Baba san Erion said:
Success!!!! After trying several different resistors,i landed upon a 10 ohm 25 watt resistor.Bingo!Correct flash rate.It has to flash a little while to even get warm,so i think i've hit it right.Time will tell i guess.Thanks for all the input guys.
Now you'll have to post pics of the final product. :D

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
yeah some pics of it would be nice (inlcude the wiring cause I'm looking to change my flush mounts inthe front. came with ugly carbon fiber ones when I bought the bike and I got these sweet looking red/clear ones but they will flash fast when I put them on so I haven't put them on yet till I figure out how to fix it)

Also there are products you can buy such as the SmartEqualizer that fix the problem (I want to keep mine as running lights and blinkers so that won't do the running lights but I've been talking to a guy from Kisan about their signalMinder and it adds running light capabilities to single filament lights btu he has to get back to me on if it fixes fast flash problems. oh yeah its main feature is to shut your blinkers off automatically. www.kisantech.com to check it out).

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks again for all of your helpful suggestions.Here is a picture of the "finished product".The turnsignals are amber LED units with a clear lens and four mini LED's inside.I ordered them from www.thesmithboys.com .They required NO body modifications.I wired a 10 ohm 25 watt resistor in paralell to get the correct flash rate.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I found this pretty sure for the price it would save some people some time.Equalizers

This is most likely the same thing you came up with any how since all you have to do is increase path resistance but it is packaged a bit differently.

Not to mention the price is the best i have seen thus far.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Nillotuc said:
I found this pretty sure for the price it would save some people some time.Equalizers

This is most likely the same thing you came up with any how since all you have to do is increase path resistance but it is packaged a bit differently.

Not to mention the price is the best i have seen thus far.
If you have LED's at the front AND back do you need two of these?

·
Registered
316 Posts
i run LED's in all locations (brow mod, flush mounts, and rear short stalk) i had to connect the resistors in parallel on each side in the rear. without them my blinkers wouldnt flash at all. i think i used 10w/50ohm.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
It looks like that equalizer comes in a 2 amp and a 4 amp size. The 4 amp it says should be enough to let you do all 4 signals. I think I am just going to switch to an electronic flasher. Looks like that is an easy mod on the 636 :D

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Baba san Erion said:
I have an '03 954 that has had the M.D. Wright LED integrator installed on the rear taillight.Everything went fine,all lights flash/function normally.Today i attempted to install some front LED flushmounts from www.thesmithboys.com.Very fast flash rate.I then tried a set of "normal" flushmounts with the same result.The LED's have an apparent resistance of .500 M ohms.Although the meter fluctuated,this was the average.The "regular" flushmounts have an apparent resistance of 1 ohm.Try as i may i could not get an accurate reading of the factory turn signal filament.I'm in a mess here. :crying: I need to find the resistance of the factory filament,and then somehow get the flushmount resistance to match.UGH!Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Ah, the joys of aftermarket turn signals.

Never again... :nono:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts