Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got a fish tank for christmas and was wondering what you guys with fish recomend as far aas fish go? I am will need a set up that is fairly low maintinence because I may need to get my parents to look after it while I am at the races and traveling for up to a week...how much work is a salt water tank? are they a lot more money? which fish are healthier and easier to maintain? so many questions, I just figured that this would be a good spot to start judging by some of the tanks in the what kind of pets do you have thread.
thanks again, Rob
oh yeah sorry for the blank post to start

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wont be away all the time I may however be gone a couple times a year(on the bike :evilaugh: ) where my parents or girlfriend may have to keep watch over the tank. I like the looks of a salt water tank, but from what I have heard they are a pain to maintian. I like lots of fish as well, but I do like fish that are a decent size, not huge just decent. I just want to make sure that I do my research on them before I go jumping into things with both feet.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great link, all kinds of stuff on there...that will definatley take a while to read through. Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
7,724 Posts
Northern RR said:
Great link, all kinds of stuff on there...that will definatley take a while to read through. Thanks again for the help.
no problemo & good luck :thumb:

edit: read up on the part about fishless cycling. Its nice to get the tank stable without sacrificing any fish. I have done it in 3 different setups including my 65 gallon with much luck

·
Registered
496 Posts
YES, salt water tanks are alot of work and alot of money.

When I was in college, I traded my pet alligator (actually a spectacled caiman) for a 55 gallon tank and some Oscars . I absolutely loved having two albinos and two tiger oscars in the tank. They were really small when I got them but grew quickly cuz I fed them alot. It was a blast to watch them hunt down the feeder fish and just terrorize them all day. I later added an arrowana and they seemed to get along fine since the arroawana trolls the top while the oscars stayed at the bottom of the tank. They also have a mean streak when they eat and just devour feeder fish.

Maintenance was minimal since the freshwater tank pretty much is self-contained, especially if you have your lights on a timer. If I was going on breaks I would just load up the tank with a few dozen feeders and they'd be fine for a week or longer. I'd never get those sissy fish that need flake food cuz it's just too much work to remember to feed them. Let the fish feed themselves when they're hungry by hunting for their dinner hiding in the corner of the tank. I had a little 10 gallon tank under my big tank for my feeder fish. I would just hit the pet store and buy a few hundred feeders and put them in the little tank so I didn't have to run to the pet store for a few weeks. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just an update...I have cycled the tank and checked the water things looked good so me and the GF went to the local "fish store" and bought some small guys to start, they include, 6 painted tetras, a couple of cat fish(about an inch long) and a small red tailed shark (not going to get very big, and he is fine in a community) Lots of variety at the local store and will likely go back in a week or two once the tank settles.
For now I think that I will spend some more time learning about how things work in an aquarium and trying my best to keep them healthy, wish me luck, and sorry about not having any pics yet (I wil see what I can do)

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
here are some pics, sucks not having my own camera/computer...sorry about the crappy pics...oh well...I will look up the mata mata just to see what that is all about, thanks for the head up

Attachments

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was wondering about a small turtle to add some more character to the tank? that would add a whole nother level of diffculty to keeping the tank up... I thought that they needed to get out of the water for a small amount of time to breath, kinda like whales? what gives, how long can they be submersed? Like I said I am still "new" to the aquarium game so I am trying to learn as much as possible...I dont know if turtles are going to happen though, yet anyways...

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
Northern, go back up a post - I finally got the video to work. And as for keeping aquatic turtles in a fish tank? Fuggitit. If you'd like a turtle or two, best to set them up in their own specialized tank. :thumb:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts