Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone had their bikes rekeyed? Mine was recently stolen and they punched the ignition completely out and cut a few wires. I need a new lockset put on but the dealership is the only place that says they can do it and I can't get the bike there right now. Any help is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Has anyone had their bikes rekeyed? Mine was recently stolen and they punched the ignition completely out and cut a few wires. I need a new lockset put on but the dealership is the only place that says they can do it and I can't get the bike there right now. Any help is appreciated.

Remove the top fork clamp and take the ignition switch to a locksmith.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
There is no ignition. The whole unit was punched out. It's just a hole in the triple tree
Then when you get a replacement ignition take it to a locksmith with your keys and they'll make the switch fit your original key.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Then when you get a replacement ignition take it to a locksmith with your keys and they'll make the switch fit your original key.
Did you by chance have AAA coverage on your bike? If so they may actually cover the cost of rekeying the ignition fir you.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
How hard this is is going to depend if it's a later bike with HISS. What year/model do you have?

HISS began in 2000, but not on US bikes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Negative on the AAA. I have Geico but basic liability only. Cost me 150 to get it outta the pokey when it was recovered and who knows how much for the rekey. It's gonna sit over the winter at my parents house under a tarp out of the elements and I'll take it to a shop when I get some money saved up. It's a 99 blade

·
Registered
140 Posts
you may beable to find a complete lockset on ebay...just a thought.

figure it would run you about 150 bucks...it'd be worth keeping an eye out for atleast

·
Registered
791 Posts
99 blade is previous to the electronic gizmos. That hiss stuff is a real pig in such a case but this one should be as simple as waiting for the parts you need to turn up on eBay. If you can cope with having more than one key then just get the ignition key alone.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I found a cheap chinese made ignition module for $20 on amazon. I figure it'll work until I can afford to get an OEM ordered then just watch as they change it out. They said it's pretty straight forward so after i see them put this one in I should be able to copy it later.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Well I found a cheap chinese made ignition module for $20 on amazon. I figure it'll work until I can afford to get an OEM ordered then just watch as they change it out. They said it's pretty straight forward so after i see them put this one in I should be able to copy it later.

Generally they don't work because they don't have the diode in them.
Did they confirm it does have the diode?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts