Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After exploding 2 deer last fall, I'm finally putting the new fairings on my 929. My problem is that I can't get my old rubber grommets/nuts from the old fairings into the tab holes on the new fairings because its so tight. Any hints?
-Thanks

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
They can be a pain. I find wetting them slightly and pull them through the opposite way you think, by the washer or flat end. Just fold the flat part to get it started and pull through. Putting them in is the same in reverse. Start the flat part in the hole and twist and push and it'll kind of thread in. I believe they're called wellnuts too. Hope this helps.
Dennis

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
I actually saw new ones at the hardware store the other day. probably much cheaper than through the dealer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just finished with the last fairing. The first wellnut I tried to replace gave me kittens, but the rest of them went much easier. The first one I ended up cutting off about 15% of the flat part so it would go completely thru. That worked pretty well. I didn't have any problems with the rest of them.
Considering I crashed simultaneously into 2 deer (popped the spine out of one of them), all the new fairings fit pretty well with a minimum of bending stuff to fit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts