Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay I did the stupidest thing and decide I was going to try and strip some of my wires to replace the connectors headed to my starter relay

now on accident i accidentally cut the wire to short instead of stripping it...:thumbd:

so basically what can be used to lengthen the wire long enough to place a connector on it and hook it back up

the yellow wire isnt long enough to reach

i know its dirty, thats because its been sitting in the garage for almost a year now lol

·
Registered
900 Posts
Just strip wire back a bit more, use inline conector and then new insulated crimp other end job done, If wires are old and brittle why not strip it all right back and relace them while your at it.Oh an disconnect batt whilr you are doing this so you dont cause a short.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well they actually are alot sturdier then in the pictures. but i need to extend the wire...i dont think the inline connector will work for that?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Its just a through crimp, about an inch long, wire in one side crimp it wire in other crimp that, job done. You can use insulated bullet connectors if you cant get hold of a through crimp, if you end up doing a number of wires cut them at different lenghths then you wont have a big lump, it will be spaced out nice and neat.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its just a through crimp, about an inch long, wire in one side crimp it wire in other crimp that, job done. You can use insulated bullet connectors if you cant get hold of a through crimp, if you end up doing a number of wires cut them at different lenghths then you wont have a big lump, it will be spaced out nice and neat.
thanks i see now and read your previous post wrong, today is an excellent day out..about 78 clear skies and i have no bike to ride :crying:

gonna try to rig up my 900 and get it going

·
Registered
900 Posts
None stop rain here too, got day off tomorrow and a new lid to try out , so hope it will be a bit dryer. been about 9deg here today. Defo not a day for my vented leathers.:evilaugh:

·
Registered
900 Posts
Part of the joy of riding in the uk....you either freeze, get wet or both, that said recon deep down we love it. Rode with vented leathers for last 2 years, bought a warmer set for winter.Dont you find it a bit too hot with the leathers, and i bet the roads are a hell of a lot different over there, i live in a rural area with a lot of (b) roads so a good challenge for the bike, what the roads like were you are.?

·
Registered
136 Posts
You could solder the wires if you can't get a splice or the tools to splicde it in there. Be sure to use flux, I don't care if it's flux core solder-use flux.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Part of the joy of riding in the uk....you either freeze, get wet or both, that said recon deep down we love it. Rode with vented leathers for last 2 years, bought a warmer set for winter.Dont you find it a bit too hot with the leathers, and i bet the roads are a hell of a lot different over there, i live in a rural area with a lot of (b) roads so a good challenge for the bike, what the roads like were you are.?
i have a leather and mesh depending on the temp. the temp got to 107 f this past summer and it was mesh all day. roads are mostly gridded out here.

but i cant figure it out, something keeps blowing out one of my fuses on my starter solenoid...dont feel like spending more money on it right now

·
Registered
900 Posts
Sounds like you got a short somewere, not easy to trace, can take a bit of time to track, had a prob with a short on mine a while back real pain to trace, turned out had three shorts at same time....go figger. Recon you should try and eliminate one wire at a time....Take it you got a multimeter ?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds like you got a short somewere, not easy to trace, can take a bit of time to track, had a prob with a short on mine a while back real pain to trace, turned out had three shorts at same time....go figger. Recon you should try and eliminate one wire at a time....Take it you got a multimeter ?
that i do

1 - 12 of 12 Posts