Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to M.O. Monday for STT trackday (really crappy day-rained all day) and didn't even get in one lap. I got there and unloaded everything, started her up and rode around to tech and then parked her until the first session after the riders mtg. Put on my gear and go to start her and all I get is sputtering. Tried several times and gave up. I think I might have got some bad gas the last time I filled up the Sat. before, because she was running great all day Sat. down at Hocking Hills. I tried starting her again Mon. after getting home and still just get sputtering. I drained ALL the gas and put in fresh and pulled all the plugs and checked for spark-they work and now I get nada. She'll crank just fine but won't start. Will bad gas ruin the iridium plugs? Any other ideas? Where was that place that sells them cheap? This is really starting to p!ss me off. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The plugs were pulled and do spark(outside the engine) and I can see the fuel being injected when I crank it and hold the throttle open. The plugs do look kinda suspect though, they're pretty black, but they spark well when I take them out and connect the coil and turn it over while it lays on the cylinder head. I don't think I like these high dollar iridium jobs, the dealer wants $20 a piece for them.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Yea, they are really expensive, but it is a 'high dollar' toy. Bite the bullet and replace the pugs. I think the bikes are fairly sensitive to the quailty of the plugs.

What about the air filter?

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 929 this spring. Was all excited the first warm(er) day of the year, put on all my brand new gear I acquired over winter, toss a leg over her, and she won't fire. Killed the battery in the process. 3 hours later after replacing the plugs, she fired up like the first day I picked her up from the dealer

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Fig, but the first link only gives info on 900's and 929's and the second one says 'no application found' for NGK and Denso!?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Had the same thing happen to my 954, I had washed it a few days before and did'int ride it, the only way I could get it started by push starting it.  Have you tried to push start it?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Did you load test your battery??? Remember that what starts your 954 is the computer. The computer needs a full 12 volts. Your starter does not care what voltage it gets as it will take all it can get. Most of the 54's come with a YTZ10S
(10amp sealed) battery. By the by these batteries do not like to be 'hot charged' -- they like the slow 1.5 amp charge from a 'battery tender'.
Sugoi8

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was the freakin' plugs. I picked up some new ones on the way home from work last night, put em in and she's running fine again. I just don't see how the plugs went bad so fast; it was fine all day Sat. and then Mon. morning it started once and then crapped out. Can a little water in the gas cause this?

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
Sounds like your plugs were fouled.  Are you using a Power Commander?

edit: How did the STT day at M-O go? Did it rain all day and was it a crashfest?!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No power commander, but I had a techlusion unit to smooth out the low end stumble. I disconnected it while trying to get it running Mon. when I got home and haven't reconnected it. A few weeks ago I did the sarter valve sync. and when I took a test ride last nite it seemed pretty smooth w/o the tech box. Maybe that's the problem. M.O. sucked. It rained the whole time I was there ranging from a lite sprinkle to a med. hard sideways downpour. My bike got soaked sitting under a 12*12 EZ-up. The guy next to me in the pits highsided his gix1000 in turn 7 of his 1st lap. I know a few others went down too, I packed it up and left @1pm. I watched for a while from the pit garage walkway and the few sessions I saw there about 6-8 guys out cruising around the puddles and going real slow around the corners.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts