Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally an Air Combat game for Xbox Live. I have been waiting for this for years. The minute I plugged my Xbox into my network I was wondering when they would come out with a air combat simulator. Well, it has finally arrived, and is spectacular. While I would love to drone on about how wonderful it is, unfortunately it has a fatal flaw. Something so simple yet crippling. How could they release this game to the public? It is proof that their beta testing environment is severely lacking. I know, you are saying "What the hell is he rambling on about?". Well it's the fact that the airplanes axis controls are stuck on the left joystick controller, and the throttle and rudder are on the right. "What are you bitching about?" must be what most of you are muttering to yourselves right now. Well if you are a member of the gameboy generation, and haven't played too many flight simulation games that are at least trying to simulate actual flight conditions then this might be a non issue. For me, having grown up on various flight simulators going back to my Atari 800 days, this is absolutely amazingly assinine that they would do this. They obviously had some thought about controls as they offer two configurations. Only the configurations map off buttons like Fire, and throttle, and the button to look behind you. I personally cannot control the airplane with my left hand and work the throttle with my right. This goes completely inverse of what I have been doing for the last 25 years playing flight simulators. Again, they gave flight controls some thought, but totally dropped the ball. The inverted X Axis is standard which means they had to think that most players would be real simulator jockies. Like they are teasing us, they allow the ability to invert the X Axis, so all the Doom players can manage. They even went so far as to offer a Pro or Arcade set of controls. Well, that's all fine and dandy for someone who has never played a flight simulator. I can't believe they went to all this trouble to offer different controls, and types of controls and totally dropped the ball on allowing you to switch the two joystick configurations around. It's maddening and makes me want to cry at the same time. The game is superb, the graphics are amazing, and they physics are fairly close to real. It's the game I have been waiting for, and I am going to have to return it to the store because they have totally rendered it unplayable.

Ask to play this game before you drop hard earned cash. It might not be an issue with your dexterity. For me, it's going to mean an early trip to the game store to try and work a refund. Before I totally give up, I am going to try and find a controller that I can reconfigure. Hell, I might go so far as to buy one to disassemble and rewire.
Fig

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Tap tap tap. Is this thing on?

Update. I have found that Thrustmaster makes a flight stick (Fox 2 Pro) for the Xbox that is supposedly completely programmable. I found one on ebay in England, and it's on it's way. If I can truly map the left stick to the correct directions on the flight stick, I will be good to go. I also figured out the source of my problem. Flying RC airplanes for the last 20 years has conditioned me to left hand throttle and rudder, and right hand aileron and elevator.
Fig

1 - 2 of 2 Posts