Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I didn't really know where to post this one, but first wanted to say hi...and I love this forum...

Anyhow, I live in Phoenix, AZ and I'm wondering what your opinions are on the best way for selling a blade. I have a Red '06 CBR 1000 RR and it's almost showroom quality, fully stock, and just had a major dealer certify that there were no mechanical issues, what-so-ever. I even had the recall checked. It has 4500 miles on it, and I'm the second owner...always garaged.

Anyhow, for those of you in the US, how have you had success selling your bikes...I'm going to be in the market for a new one, but I'm not going to let the dealer screw me on a trade in...I haven't advertised it anywhere yet, but I'm about to start...

·
Registered
857 Posts
Craigslist or Ebay is where I would start.
There is a market place on this site.
:plus1: On the craigslist. Thats were I looked when I was purchasing my used bike. I would try Craigslist first as it's free and if you don't have any luck there try Cycletrader or E-bay.

BBT

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions guys...I didnt see the "marketplace" portion of the site...my bad. I think Craigslist and Ebay were where I was going to start, but I didnt know if they were the most popular, or if an add agency like Cycletrader would be the easiest...

·
Registered
52 Posts
i found mine on craigslist. be sure to be very descriptive, and if you have a friend thats into photography, he can always help take some pictures and make it look more appealing...here are a few shots of mine the day I picked her up...making her look more appealing than she actually is, haha. I have a long list of stuff to do though, so don't worry!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hey there Dorahood. I'm also in Phoenix and I've sold several bikes in the Cycle Trader magazine. You can pick one up is any Circle K in the state for about $1.50, and they run your add for 6 and 8 weeks for a pretty cheap price. Ebay is good for exposure, but the Ebay staff has warnings on the site not to purchase bikes over the internet. So that kind of deturres most perspective buyers from there. Craigs List is good. And the Cycle Trader is best IMO.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Lets look at it another way.
The absolute worse way to sell a bike is on a website dedicated to that particular bike. Only because it seems everyone on a site is an expert and want to get screeming deals. So bikes that are on the upper end of the price range almost always gets slammed as a "Rip-off". And it's usually unwarrented.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
stay away from ebay.. even if you sell it through there the fees are so outrageous you'll never get what you actually wanted.. craigslist is great as are the cycle traders..

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
+1 for Craigslist. Ebay is full of scam artists. Craigslist is free, I bought my bike and sold my last bike on it. Put in a good ad with lots of information, and for gosh sakes take some good photos! Digital cameras are cheap compared to what you can make off your bike. And don't refer your customers to some flicker site or your facebook page, photos right there in the ad. If you were buying a bike you'd want them there. Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some great info from everyone...I really really appreciate everyone's opinions...its nice to have this kind of feedback.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how did you guys who sold your bikes handle your transactions- i.e. did you take cash, check, did you hold the bike and/or title until check cleared, etc.?

I'm thinking of selling my '03 954 to get an '08 or '09 1000 and am wary of the BS that happens with buyers who want to see the bike but don't have the finances straight. I was thinking of starting by advertising on Craigslist.

Thanks,
Franc

·
Registered
148 Posts
Don't forget about Cycle Trader. I bought my first bike there, and sold my second bike there. If you take cash or a certified check, you can let them walk with the bike. If they give you a personal check, you'd be wise to wait for it to clear before releasing the title.

If it seems like too much hassle, you could also trade the bike in for a newer model.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how did you guys who sold your bikes handle your transactions- i.e. did you take cash, check, did you hold the bike and/or title until check cleared, etc.?

I'm thinking of selling my '03 954 to get an '08 or '09 1000 and am wary of the BS that happens with buyers who want to see the bike but don't have the finances straight. I was thinking of starting by advertising on Craigslist.

Thanks,
Franc
$100 bills even then your not sure. The only way I would take any kind of check is to go to their bank and cash it. For better or worse when you see your bike going down the road that is most likely the last time you'll see it. :D

Rick

·
Registered
226 Posts
I sold my bike on craigslist and it works good but you'll probably get a lot of people that want to see if your desperate and trying to give it away or if your willing to take outrageous trades. Some of the offers i got were a 150cc pit bike and 1k, my bike for some 99 ducati plus 10k, and a honda cruiser.

If your gonna go that way I would set up a dedicated email account to recieve all the messages your going to recieve.

And i would ask for about 300-500 more than you want because no one will offer you the asking price so negotiate to what you really want.

·
Registered
52 Posts
And i would ask for about 300-500 more than you want because no one will offer you the asking price so negotiate to what you really want.

+1 anytime i put ANYTHING up there i'm getting lowballed...then again whenever i'm offering to buy something ( there usually aren't any pictures and a terrible description ) i'll offer somethign low and wait for the counteroffer

·
Registered
780 Posts
I got my bike off of Craigslist for $4000. I didn't try to lowball him because he could have easily sold it to the next guy in line for his asking price.

I have bought lots of stuff off of Craigslist and it's usually worked out well. Heck, one guy sold me a 19" CRT monitor for $15 and delivered it to my apartment. I was like, "WTF... but Ok!" :evilaugh:

·
Registered
780 Posts
I buy and sell bikes for cash. I used to use certified cheques, but even those can be faked pretty easily these days.
I agree with this. Cash is the way to go. When I bought my bike I told him that I need to test ride it first. He was reluctant until I handed him the envelope full of cash and told him, "If I crash it, I take home what is left and you keep the envelope." He was Ok with that. :smilebig:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts