3,599 Posts
<---- not a racer

Yes, of course

Cool pic, BTW

·
Registered
433 Posts
It *could* be real. Not sure though.

If you watched the IOM then you would have seen several people getting air while still leaned over a bit. Granted they only got about 6 inches or so off the ground but that still takes some balls to do it before you are completely upright.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tune in to IOM coverage every year, but heck - that's a road course the Cresent Suzuki is apparently flying over in those links. Pretty cool shots nonetheless.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
thats real... In a mag I have, they have some shots in there from 2000 and its walker on a zook chasing hodgson on his duc... Thats some track in GB...

Not a chop, its real!

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
looks fake, something about the shadows..........

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
its real... Where are our EURO members?? Thats some track in GB and its very real!

·
Registered
469 Posts
I remember seeing that as well CC. It's a famous hill at a track over there, but I can't remember the name of it for the life of me.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Ahhhh, I just looked around a little bit and I think it's Cadwell Park.  Here's a picture of Chris Walker from the Cadwell Park round of British Superbikes wish I could find something bigger....

·
Registered
469 Posts
Yep, now I'm sure.  It's called 'The Mountain' and it is at Cadwell park here's a couple more of varying altitudes, one from the inside of the track and one from the outside of the track.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
All you have to do is look at the extenion of the suspension to see that the bike is at least totally unloaded, if not airborne.

Cool picture for certain!

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Someone needs to find some of the pics of Fritz Kling going over the 'Hump' at Grattan counter-race. About 5 feet of air under both wheels and he's setting up for T4 midflight. There's one of him taken from the outside that looks like he's on top of the rider he's passing . . .

·
Registered
356 Posts
was he setting up for t4 (right hander after the off camber left) or t5 (right hander immediately following the entrance point we used for .org days; leading into the chicane and bowl)? i can see it right before t5 but not t4. i'd like to see pictures either way!

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
These are running Counter-Race (backwards), and since Fritz can carry over 100 mph going through T5 (backwards), he was carrying the bike in the air halfway into T4. 'Landings' on roadrace bikes are never very pretty, so he would get the bike sideways mid-air for the beginning of the corner entrance at the top of the hill . . .

you need to keep in mind that Fritz is 6'5' tall, around 220 lbs and can bench press GSXR 1000s before breakfast . . .

just remembered . . . The track redid the entire downhill section in 00' and cut down the 'Hump' quite a bit by building up both sides and changing the angle. It is much less drastic in it's present configuration (all the SCCA guys bitched about their ground effects getting beat to crap every lap, so they mellowed it out . . .).

·
Registered
356 Posts
that guy sounds nuts! i'm sure that it is fun to watch him ride! i like to keep things a bit more mellow myself...

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Fritz has been riding at Grattan for at least 15 years and is synonomous with going fast there. He was the Michigan GP champion for at least 5 years running and defined the style required to circulate the track at record pace. He won both of the WERA FUSA rounds that took place at Grattan (and worked hard for them as well&#33. Unfortunately, most manufacturers see 6'5' as a severe handicap and he was unable to get a real factory ride, although he did most of the early development work on the Harley Superbike and made a severe dent in the TransAtlantic BOT with Triumph a few years ago. Last season he was running a private program on a GSXR 1000 (what else is new?) and was right back in the hunt.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts