Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was offered an RRS Fireblade with great spec at what i consider a great price......great price as it has over 70,000 miles on it. I snapped it up sight unseen, and will pick it up very soon. You may think that rash but I have bought over half a dozen bikes based on conversations with the seller and photo's. Everyone hs been fine.

I cannot understand why there is great mistrust over bikes, particularly Sports bikes, with high mleage. Why is this?

As an example I commuted at least 600 miles per week on my own bike (luckily now my employer lets me use their bikes). In 1997 I started to use my 1986 GSXR-750 for the journey, 47 weeks of the year. By June 2003, when it was iturned to scrap after being in a collision with a U-turning van, it had just over 180,000 miles on the clock. Sure it had some problems (rear shock wore out after 25k to 30k, but loads on ebay cheap), electrical blocks were prone to corrosion, and wheel bearings didn't last more than a winter. But with no more than bi-monthly oil and filter changes, and an annual check on valve clearances, nothing. All I ever did was to take it gently for the first 5 to 10 miles to get the oil hot before staring to open it up. And before anyone asks, it frequently was on the red line, so not treated with pussy gloves, APART from the first few, important miles

And i had a kawasaki GT 550 i purchased with 150,000 miles on it as a stop gap for a few weeks, which turned into nearly three years, but by 220,000 it was completely worn out in ALL area's.

So where are the high mileage Fireblades-there must be some with over 100k on them?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Personally i have never seen one over 55K. Im sure there are some out there?? (or thier gauges mysteriously got swaped out)

In the Mid-west anything over 20K is considered high milage on sport bikes when trying to re-sell

·
Registered
685 Posts
just about 40,000 miles on my 929 ...next time i ride it, the odometer will be over 40,000 by the time i put it back in my garage.Runs great, uses no oil

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
I think it purely depends on how it has been ridden e.g. thrashed (taken to the red line constantly), dodgy no clutch shifting etc.

Bikes can go on forever, but dont forget they rev higher than cars

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I think it purely depends on how it has been ridden e.g. thrashed (taken to the red line constantly), dodgy no clutch shifting etc.

Bikes can go on forever, but dont forget they rev higher than cars

Even though they rev higher than cars the piston speed tends to be the same. The difference usually lies in the amount of starting and stopping or direction change the pistons do. But then again these pistons tend to be lighter as well.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I stand corrected.
I am going to have to agree with Twincam's first statement on a higher reving engine. and yes cars would work the same way. Any engine will remain in "production" longer if you run it at 3K RPM as opposed to running it at 12,000 RPM. After 100 hrs of use engine 1 has 1/4th the ammount of wear as engine 2. Its not really my opinion its just science. :rant:

·
Registered
176 Posts
I just bought mine with around 23k on the clock. Had one small situation where a spark plug was loose but other than that... has been running fine, bone stock.

·
Registered
622 Posts
64k miles and counting.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dutch Motor Magazine had special edition this month about fireblades, there was a short article about SC28 -92 with 293.000 km's behind.
Only two valves replaced...
That amount of kilometers is respectable for 2 liter car engine...

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I am going to have to agree with Twincam's first statement on a higher reving engine. and yes cars would work the same way. Any engine will remain in "production" longer if you run it at 3K RPM as opposed to running it at 12,000 RPM. After 100 hrs of use engine 1 has 1/4th the ammount of wear as engine 2. Its not really my opinion its just science. :rant:
Well not really. One of the differences between a car and a motorcycle engine is obviously motorcycles usually have a smaller displacement. Of course displacement is bore x stroke multiplied by cylinders. Take one cylinder from a car and compare it to a motorcycle and the bore and stroke of a car cylinder will usually be larger. Now speed is distance over time. Since we are talking about piston speed its basically how far the piston travels over a time period. A motorcycle with the shorter stroke may be moving up and down faster but will travel a shorter distance every revolution than a car engine every revolution. Picture the a 7' basketball player walking with a 5 yr old. The would be walking the same distance but the 5 yr old has to take many more steps to match the same distance as the 7' basketball player. Overall their speed is the same though. So the piston speeds for cars and motorcycle engines tend to be not that different. Once again the only difference is the starting and stopping of the pistons at TDC and BDC.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have only 26K on mine. One of my riding buddies had a CBR900 with over 80K on the odometer, and sold it and bought a BMW GS1150 which he now has well over 100k on it.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts