Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello people. I'm looking into getting a F4i, and I think I might have found an '01. The only problem is that it has 68,000 miles on it. That seems really high, especially for a bike that revs to over 15k rpm. Anyways I was wanting to know if that kinda of mileage is something to worry about with these bikes. The bike would be coming for an insurance auction so I won't have have any history on it at all.

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
There was a guy on cbrforums.com who had an F4i with something like 160k miles on it and still going strong - he's on YouTube as well I think.

They can do big miles, however as above I would want the bike at an insultingly low price to make it worthwhile.

Of course whenever you buy a used bike it is difficult to know what the true mileage is.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I looked up the you tube video. That guy put 178k miles on an F4i and the only problems he had was in the tranny. It started popping out of 3rd at about 120k or so. He said the bike still ran great and had perfect compression on all of the cylinders, but at 178k he crashed it, splitting the block and locking the engine.
Anyways if I can get the bike for next to nothing I think I'll go for it. It's about an 800 mile drive each to get though, but if its cheap enough I think it will be worth it. Guess all I can do now is just wait and see how much it goes for.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 94 VFR with 77 000 km on it. I did a compressions test last year, engine is in mint condition. It has zero mechanical problems. It all comes down to maintenance. I also have a 78 Kawasaki KZ 650 with who knows how many km on it, runs and drives great.

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
I looked up the you tube video. That guy put 178k miles on an F4i and the only problems he had was in the tranny. It started popping out of 3rd at about 120k or so. He said the bike still ran great and had perfect compression on all of the cylinders, but at 178k he crashed it, splitting the block and locking the engine.
Anyways if I can get the bike for next to nothing I think I'll go for it. It's about an 800 mile drive each to get though, but if its cheap enough I think it will be worth it. Guess all I can do now is just wait and see how much it goes for.
I just found the link on YouTube:

YouTube - 2004 CBR 600 F4i turning 100,000 miles

That's a real shame for the bike to come to an end like that, getting so close to 200k miles as well...... :crying:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just found the link on YouTube:

YouTube - 2004 CBR 600 F4i turning 100,000 miles

That's a real shame for the bike to come to an end like that, getting so close to 200k miles as well...... :crying:
That's my bike in the video... it turned 100k back in Aug 2007. Believe me I literally cried when I saw what happened to my engine. I had a goal of hitting 200k, and had been working towards it for 5 years (and loved every single minute of it :D ) and wast THAT close to hitting it, and got totally shut down by a damn 25 mph lowside after hitting some oil/diesel fuel/something super slippery in the road on my way to work. The flywheel took a hard direct hit to the curb, shattered the stator cover into nothing, cracked the engine case, and bent the crankshaft :(

Yup yup... everything there is pretty much spot on! Only other issues I've had with it were just a couple little things.... CCTL (common F4i thing) and 2 regulator/rectifiers. It's taken me safely through 19 states and never once let me down... ever! Still ran like brand new when I went down back on Dec 17th at 177,428 miles. She may live again though, on most of her original engine. i'm driving down to Atlanta this weekend to pick up a new engine, and first thing I'm gonna do is strip it down to the bare block and the crankshaft, hone the cylinders out real good to deglaze them, then transfer all of the internals from my old engine. I know everybody thinks I'm a total idiot for doing that, but, it means something to me and it's what I want to do (engine I'm buying has 15k miles). Won't be the original crankshaft or block, but everything else will be original. Still on the original clutch too so I can still see how long that lasts. Bike should be back on the road within the next 2 weeks!

Anyways, back to the original topic (sorry for the hijack)... Lamp, did you end up getting the bike?? F4i's are built like tanks, 68k isn't even breaking a sweat.... :thumb:

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
Hey thirdgenlxi good to have you aboard! :welcome:

It's good to have a real CBR hero on the site! :nworthy::nworthy:

I completely understand what you're doing with the engine, it's a real shame what happened to your bike. But hopefully it'll be up and running again in 2 weeks time eh?

Why not stick around and keep us up to date with how you get on, and let us know when you hit the 200k mark. I can just see a nice rebuild thread with pics coming.....

Oh and I wouldn't worrk about the thread hijack - we do get a little sidetracked on this site every now and then.... :rotfl:

·
Registered
197 Posts
my first 94 f2 i sold with over 70 thousand on the odometer, with just a rectifier problem in its life span with me, Hey its a Honda, they cant be beat, my moms 86 goldwing has over 150 thousand miles on it and still going strong..but my 01 has only 20 grand showing, so many years left to go...

·
Registered
787 Posts
Good to know they can go a while. I know a guy that has a clean 03 F4i with 25k on it. I wasn't sure if it was worth looking at.I have always wanted an F4i.

He wants $3600 for the bike. It looks good and he has owned it since new. Good deal?

·
Registered
197 Posts
hey dead, ide offer 3200 and see what he says....but hes asking right check the blue book for values and base your offer from there good luck

·
Registered
787 Posts
Thanks for the reply sheep. I looked it up on KBB and $3600 is about right. I know this guy from a local bike group that I belong too so it's not like he is a complete stranger. He has several bikes and they are all well maintained and clean.

Here is a link to pictures of the bike. It is pretty much all stock.
Pictures by Was92v - Photobucket

Sorry for the thread jackage, Lamp...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.