Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't shoot me if this sounds stupid I searched the forum for a thread about it but haven't been able to find one, at least not one that gives a solution.

Just lately my 929 ha developed a weird start up issue. From cold (and I mean cold, it's recently been dropping below freezing here most nights) and whilst putting my gloves on, the revs will steadily climb to a disturbing 4000k before I have to hit the kill switch. Mostly on restart it seems to settle down to normal. I did have a recent problem with the air temp sensor which I have replaced and I have even synced the throttle bodies. All the cables are free and the throttle grip is well lubed and returns fine and the idle is set to 11k when warm. I did read somewhere something about the wax container and was wondering if the cold may be effecting it. Apart from this everything is sweet.
:idunno:

Your imput would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
no choke - its all worked out by the ECU...supposedly.
The wax element is immersed in coolant. As temperature causes it to expand and contract it moves the starter valves.

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
Don't shoot me if this sounds stupid I searched the forum for a thread about it but haven't been able to find one, at least not one that gives a solution.

Just lately my 929 ha developed a weird start up issue. From cold (and I mean cold, it's recently been dropping below freezing here most nights) and whilst putting my gloves on, the revs will steadily climb to a disturbing 4000k before I have to hit the kill switch. Mostly on restart it seems to settle down to normal. I did have a recent problem with the air temp sensor which I have replaced and I have even synced the throttle bodies. All the cables are free and the throttle grip is well lubed and returns fine and the idle is set to 11k when warm. I did read somewhere something about the wax container and was wondering if the cold may be effecting it. Apart from this everything is sweet.

Thanks
Has it been a problem since you synchronised the starter valves or has it started more recently?

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
No the problem was already there, I just synced them to try and cure it. I'm still wondering about the air temp sensor though as it was second hand, possible?
If it's not throwing an error code for it then it's probably fine.
I can't see how it might affect the starter valves though.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had the nine flashing light warning and tracked it down to a broken connector pin in the sensor plug and since replacing it that has stopped so I think it must be ok. Like I said though it's still very cold here. Its strange though, it only lasts for about a minute before it drops to normal. I just don't get it. Its like I've got the high tick over button in.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts

Thanks
that's really high, you should lower it to somewhere around 1200.

with it being so cold it could just be the fast idle warming it up. I don't think mine has ever been that high but I haven't started it in really cold temps in a long time.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeh, my mistake I meant 1200, 12000 would just be stupid. Whats the letter for 100's if there is one? Its been a bit warmer today but it's still misbehaving. I'm going to disconnect the sensor on Sat to see if it does it then. Unless Ive crossed my vacuum tubes or something when I synced the throttle bodies. would that make any difference?

Thanks for your comments...I will resolve this.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
Yeh, my mistake I meant 1200, 12000 would just be stupid. Whats the letter for 100's if there is one? Its been a bit warmer today but it's still misbehaving. I'm going to disconnect the sensor on Sat to see if it does it then. Unless Ive crossed my vacuum tubes or something when I synced the throttle bodies. would that make any difference?

Thanks for your comments...I will resolve this.

Cheers
I don't think there's an abbreviation for 100's, at least not in common usage.
Because it idles fine when warmed up I doubt you have any air leaks.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Problem sorted.

Thought that I'd take a closer look at the air temp sensor and it turned out that one of the pins had a crack in it. I snipped off the female side and then pared down all of the surrounding male connector with a dremel (hobby drill) to expose both pins. Re soldered the pin, re connected it with a wire connector and surrounded both connectors with an epoxy resin. Re connected - no more high revs. Result.

There must have been enough power getting through to stop the warning light but not enough to register the temp...I guess. Anyhow thanks for your help.

Love it when a plan comes together!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.