Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

Is the HISS (honda ignition security system) a standard fitment on USA 929 models?

Thanks

Bill

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
I know its probably more stuff to install but wouldn't it save Honda a little bit of money to just make it a universal thing all over the world. and get them more money when making replacement keys.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was just wondering because many 929s turn up for sale as salvage in the uk without keys.

If you don't have the right key there is no alternative but to buy a new ECU with matching key at a huge cost (over 1000 pounds sterling). Keys with matching ECU hardly ever turn up as used spares. The HISS system cannot be bypassed.

But it would seem a way around this is to buy an ECU from the USA perhaps on ebay which will work in conjunction with any ignition lockset.

Interesting

Bill

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
gayblade said:
I was just wondering because many 929s turn up for sale as salvage in the uk without keys.

If you don't have the right key there is no alternative but to buy a new ECU with matching key at a huge cost (over 1000 pounds sterling). Keys with matching ECU hardly ever turn up as used spares. The HISS system cannot be bypassed.

But it would seem a way around this is to buy an ECU from the USA perhaps on ebay which will work in conjunction with any ignition lockset.

Interesting

Bill
can't you just go to Honda with documentation that the bike is yours and have them order you a new key that's programmed for your bike?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know. I seem to rememberthat this is not possible for some reason but I'd be interested to hear from anybody who has done this successfully.

Bill

·
Registered
10 Posts
When you buy a HISS equipped bike you get a little metal tag along with the 2 keys.It has a number stamped on it and that number represents the code on the keys.If you lose the 2 keys and you need a replacement the only way to do so is have a new key programmed with the number on that tag.Honda don't keep this information on any database for some reason.
The key being cut is the easy part as any good locksmith can reverse engineer a key from your lock although you may have to take off the top yoke along with the ignition.
If you don't have the little tag then there's no way to reprogram the ecu :mad: so you have to buy a new one.It's also been tried using a US ecu and ignition etc on a European bike but it won't run properly, miss fires etc a lot.
Maybe you could get lucky and find a UK spec ecu (along with key) on ebay?

·
Registered
960 Posts
Yes Aussie bikes have HISS. The dealer who sold my 954 to me said that the 2 keys I was given at purchase were 2 of the 4 keys in existence which matched the ECU. I could buy the other 2 from Honda if I could quote the number on the little metal tag. After that there were no more keys and even with the tag number none could be programmed. The only option would be a new ECU if the 4 keys were lost.

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
RWB929 said:
When you buy a HISS equipped bike you get a little metal tag along with the 2 keys.It has a number stamped on it and that number represents the code on the keys.If you lose the 2 keys and you need a replacement the only way to do so is have a new key programmed with the number on that tag.Honda don't keep this information on any database for some reason.
The key being cut is the easy part as any good locksmith can reverse engineer a key from your lock although you may have to take off the top yoke along with the ignition.
If you don't have the little tag then there's no way to reprogram the ecu :mad: so you have to buy a new one.It's also been tried using a US ecu and ignition etc on a European bike but it won't run properly, miss fires etc a lot.
Maybe you could get lucky and find a UK spec ecu (along with key) on ebay?
I think that little tag also comes with US bikes. my friend got one with his used F4i. I thought it was just the code for cutting the key. maybe with the electronic keys it also has comp codes too.

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
For a fee you could probably get the HISS unit sensed at a transponder shop. There are 1000's of codes, but there is a range to them. Some shops may have a device that just sits there and scans codes for a specific vehicle and stores whichever one unlocks it. I know such things exist for the Honda accords here in the states which has a very similar system.

Though they (mfr's) claim it's all unbeatable - if you go to a shop specializing in transponder keys, they should be able to help you out. Though it may be expensive and they'll ask for paperwork.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts