Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I'm done crashing in expensive Arai lids. Ruined my Edwards rep when I broke my collarbone. Anyone crashed in one and how did it perform? I figure it they are good enough for Spies then why not someone as slow as me.

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
:wstupid: :rotfl:

FWIW, I have an older HJC CL-12 and was not in the least bit impressed with it. I never crashed it, but it just never felt "safe". I only wore it for part of one season. After today I'll be glad to buy another Arai.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ConqSoft said:
Why not just stop crashing period? :idunno:
How did I know that response was coming? Seriously, they meet the same standards as all the others so why not? I have an AC10 that is a year old. Got such a good deal on it I couldnt pass it up. Its not as comfy inside but is actually about the same weight. Just dont want to pay $600 or so for one low speed crash every time. I will still wear my Hayden rep for the street but Im looking for a cheaper alternative for the track. Wrecks happen, big hits to the bank account dont have to.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
If your head shape fits them, I guess they're okay. I own a CS or CL-12, and it held up to daily riding pretty well.

Yesterday, I tried on a CL-SP and an AC-11 zeek (suprisingly light), but they just didn't fit my head well enough. I'm an oval more than a round. I couldn't get a good fit between the L (too tight on top) and XL (too loose at cheeks)... which is good, because I really like the looks of the Vemar I have my mind on.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I have an AC-11 that is about a year old or so, and it happens to fit my head really well. I hated their old helmets (fit wise), but this one feels really good. My only complaint is that it is pretty f-in loud at interstate speeds. Other than that, I give it a :thumb:

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. Still looking for someone who has crashed one. Just want to see how they hold up. I guess I could just wear my AC11 in the next race and crash to see how it fairs.....

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Diesel954 said:
Still looking for someone who has crashed one. Just want to see how they hold up.
There are too many variables in a crash to use someone else's experience as a measurement of "how they hold up." :twocents:

·
Registered
71 Posts
tigerblade said:
His probably isn't straight off the shelf. ;)
Racing considerations usually revoilve around light weight. I wouldn't doubt if most top-level pros are wearing the lightest weight variants, which likely means an ECE-22/05 spec. Safer? It's arguable that it's safer within a limited number of fall scenarios. But the consideration is not all-out safety, and it never is in racing, it's always the lightest weight options within the rules. You see that logic in any other form of racing or any other piece of racer's gear.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Diesel954 said:
Thanks. Still looking for someone who has crashed one. Just want to see how they hold up. I guess I could just wear my AC11 in the next race and crash to see how it fairs.....
So basically you want to know if anybody has died whilst wearing one in a fall or not. The ones that can give you that info aren't aorund to speak about it, and the ones that are can't say for sure that the forces encountered by the helmt were really enough to do so vs those forces any other helmet could handle. That's why they are standardized for safety by lab testing facilities. They energy they can manage is pretty much a known quantity up to the point at which they've passed the available guidelines deemed to be safe and appropriate reagarding the brain and skull's tolerance levels, and the forces that may be encountered in an impact event.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Diesel954 said:
How did I know that response was coming? Seriously, they meet the same standards as all the others so why not?
A Kia Rio meets DOT crash standards too...you choose if you'd rather crash in it or a say Audi A6?

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
license2ill said:
So basically you want to know if anybody has died whilst wearing one in a fall or not. The ones that can give you that info aren't aorund to speak about it, and the ones that are can't say for sure that the forces encountered by the helmt were really enough to do so vs those forces any other helmet could handle. That's why they are standardized for safety by lab testing facilities. They energy they can manage is pretty much a known quantity up to the point at which they've passed the available guidelines deemed to be safe and appropriate reagarding the brain and skull's tolerance levels, and the forces that may be encountered in an impact event.
No actually Im asking how well the shell held up, whether or not the shield stayed shut blocking debris, if they suffered a concussion, etc. HAS ANYONE CRASHED IN AN HJC HELMET? IF SO PLEASE PM ME. THX.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
tigerblade said:
His probably isn't straight off the shelf. ;)
He appears to be wearing the carbon fiber model available from most stores selling HJCs. Maybe Im wrong but thats what it looks like to me.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
A while back RRW did a "test" of helmets. (and I quote it in almost all of these types of threads) It was actually just tabulated data.

Arai and Shoei had WAY lower incidences of concussion per crash in club racers. AGV was a bit below the two top performers. The rest of the helmet brands, including HJC, were dramatically more likely to see the rider concussed.

I believe codered races in a HJC and has crashed them.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts