Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay a bit of background here. I purchased the bike in an unknown condition. Didn't pay all that much so I didn't mind as I was looking for a project. I drove 12 hours one way to pick the bike up, round trip no sleeping. I was way too excited anyways. Got home, unloaded the bike and sorted through all the parts. Started making my list of parts needed and a second of parts wanted. After a few weeks of saving I was able to begin the rebuild. It's been slow going, but its nice to have something to save for.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
update: so here is the deal, the bike runs really well. very strong through all of the gears. i have noticed lately that i get a strong vibration through the bike at about 5500 rpms and up. there is a small exhaust leak somewhere in there and the clutch likes to sound like a freight train sitting in neutral at a stop light. the bike was trashed pretty hard in an accident (enough that the crank case was welded back together in a spot). today on the way into work one of my fork seals went out as i was leaning into a turn. scary moment as i was coming in pretty hot and the front end mushed out on me. i was able to keep her up and rode the 1/2 mile further to work with no incident. the ride home tonight is going to be interesting. i've already ordered new fork seals. since i'm going to have to put new seals on the bike i figure this is the best time to go ahead and finish up with everything i wanted to do to the bike.

step one is going to be getting the tail fairing from a 1000rr and modding the extra subframe to fit it. i'm leaning toward the 06 fairing. it just looks more aggressive and sleaker in my opinion. i want to blend the 06 and the 00 tail sections together since i will not have the extra material coming from the tank to fill that section of the bike. hopefully i can come up with something that looks good. i also want to see about fitting the swing arm from the 06 so that i can do a clean undertail exhaust and utilize the heat sheilding that comes on the 06.

the idea originally was to make this a track bike, and i am going to do that...just have 2 sets of fairings i can use. one for show and one for the track.

i've been playing with some ideas and i think i've come up with a scheme that is going to work really well on the 929. i've always been into WWII fighter planes. the shark face really intrigues me. i'm thinking of pulling the sharks mouth directly from the sides of the headlight following the conture lines of the upper cowl. using the fairing bolts to represent the rivit points on the the plane, paint the bike in a green to kakhi pain scheme. i'm re reading this and it's not making much sense here, but each time i look at the bike i can see the whole thing. i'm not going for a show off paint job, but i am going for a head turner. i don't want a chromed or polished look to the bike, i think a satin black frame/subframe and swingarm would look good with the idea.

i'm an artist and i love to paint anything i can get my hands on. this is just one more thing for me to paint :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts