Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a kit to start making my own beer. Does anyone have any tips before I start. I'll be making my first batch tomorrow. Hopefully all goes well and in a few weeks I'll let you guys know how it worked out. Oh yeah, the best part of making beer is drinking all the beer that came in the bottles I need emptied for my beer! :alcohol: :D

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I regularly visit a sandwich shop owned by a guy they call "Beer Nazi" Much like Seinfelds "Soup Nazi". He is a former brewmaster for Budweiser.

He told me what can make all the diffrence in a brew is the water. That is why a Bud bottled in Los Angeles brewery can taste different from a Bud bottled in oh Denver... He used to sell homebrew kits.

I think he would tell you to look for your supplies in the Celebrator

·
Registered
960 Posts
MedTechRR said:
I just got a kit to start making my own beer. Does anyone have any tips before I start. I'll be making my first batch tomorrow. Hopefully all goes well and in a few weeks I'll let you guys know how it worked out. Oh yeah, the best part of making beer is drinking all the beer that came in the bottles I need emptied for my beer! :alcohol: :D
1. Make sure everything the beer comes into contact with has been sterilised.
2. Keep the fermentation temperature constant at around 20 deg C (depending on the yeast. Most yeasts supplied with kits like this temp).
3. Try to avoid lifting fermenters full of beer.
4. If you want to improve your brewing join a brew club.
5. Buy "New Brewing Lager Beer" by Greg Noonan for advanced brewing info.
There are other good books by Charlie Papazian and Dave Miller.
The USA seems to have a very good homebrew industry. Check out morebeer.com.

6. Take up marathon running if you want to keep some sort of waistline. :D

Happy brewing. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I hope you REALLY enjoy cleaning and boiling because that's pretty much what beer making is. I did it for about 6 batches. I made some good stuff too once I figured out that I couldn't brew during the 110 degree summers of Sacramento. However, I decided that the tiny amount of money I saved was not nearly offset by the amount of effort it took to brew it. Plus, the microbrews around here make some seriously good stuff so it's not really worth making any in my opinion.

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
MedTech, first of all, buy and read and re-read these two books:

1) The Home Brewer's Companion: The Essential Handbook, Charlie Papazian. His mantra is: "Sit back, relax, have a home brew!" :D

2) The Complete Handbook of Home Brewing: Dave Miller.

The first book is essential! Once you read these you will say "screw the kits!". Do it from scratch (almost), much more satisfying that way. :thumb:

Let us know how it went! :smilebig:

edit: some of my friends don't call me "Beer Man Johnny" for nothing! :p

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Bacchus said:
MedTech, first of all, buy and read and re-read these two books:

1) The Home Brewer's Companion: The Essential Handbook, Charlie Papazian. His mantra is: "Sit back, relax, have a home brew!" :D

2) The Complete Handbook of Home Brewing: Dave Miller.

The first book is essential! Once you read these you will say "screw the kits!". Do it from scratch (almost), much more satisfying that way. :thumb:

Let us know how it went! :smilebig:

LOL I guess lil brewer Bacchus makes micro-brew.

·
Banned
3,466 Posts
Bacchus said:
Ok, so do they, or don't they? :huh:

Although, if they do, I'd assume it's because your dimensions are so similar to a beer bottle. :D

:cool:

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WetShrub said:
I hope you REALLY enjoy cleaning and boiling because that's pretty much what beer making is. I did it for about 6 batches. I made some good stuff too once I figured out that I couldn't brew during the 110 degree summers of Sacramento. However, I decided that the tiny amount of money I saved was not nearly offset by the amount of effort it took to brew it. Plus, the microbrews around here make some seriously good stuff so it's not really worth making any in my opinion.
Wiping your ass must be a real chore if boiling some water and cleaning a few buckets is hard work?? I'm really not doing it to save money. I'm going to be putting it into 5gal kegs because I already have a kegerator. No bottle cleaning for me! :D

I also want to make some hard cider, that stuff is good too!!

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Hehe... washing and sterilizing 50 bottles without a dish washer plus 4-5 pots and pans, boiling your wort for a couple hours. If I had a kegerator then I think it might be worth it but in order to bottle it, no thanks. It was fun and different at first but now I'd rather just spend 2 minutes picking out something at the super market.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Just a quick update. I've brewed 7 batches of beer now. I'm getting pretty good and can make 5 gallons in about 1 1/2 hours. The stuff is real good too. Right now In the fermenters I have a x-mas ale, a blueberry wheat, and a honey IPA. I've also setup my own bar with 6 taps. Here's a few pics of my setup right now. I just bought a house and will be moving in in a few weeks. I'm going to setup a whole brew room in the basement so I'll be sure to keep you updated! I'm moving onto All grain this friday with the help of a friend! :thumb:

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
Alright MedTech! Grasshopper, you have come a long way since your initial post! It's a very gratifying hobby, is it not? Are you mashing your own granin from the start now? Good job!! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sheepofblue said:
OK now what about home whiskey :cool:
Yeah, just a bit on the risky side, not to mention illegal.

I've done one mini-mash brew but haven't done all grain full mash yet. After this weekend I'll be able to do anything from scratch. No more extract!!

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Holy Shizzle! :eek: :nworthy3: MedTechRR you da man!

I had a dream about going for it back when I turned 21. I had cases of grolsch bottles. I aquired the old style stainless kegs with the cork in the side. I had my eye on the stainless swimming pool filter body.

If I didnt have so much on my plate already I would be there already. For now guiness and boddingtons will have to suffice. :cheers2:

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
just a quick update. After moving into my new house I haven't had a chance to brew again. Between the hell of moving, getting situated in a new place, and the damn snowy cold winter I haven't had an opportunity. I was really hoping to get into all grain before but havent yet. I just ordered a new brew kettle, a mash tun, a new counterflow chiller, grain mill, and a nice magnetic drive pump. Once I get everything (it sucks waiting for the UPS man) and get it all hooked up I should be able to make some more beer! I've got a amber ale and barleywine all ready to brew. All I can say is it sure isn't cheaper making your own beer. Anyone else made any beer lately??

1 - 20 of 38 Posts