Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm moving into my new house this weekend and am shopping for Internet access. Bye bye dial up!

So let's hear it. DSL, cable, what? And from what company. I know that not all companies will have service in all areas, but I want to know who has good service/prices, and I will go from there.

Thanks for all your input.

dan

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Cable all the way...unless you have Adelphia. I have had Cox for the last 14 months with one problem the first week or two which is when they launched. I was one of the first ~10 customers.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Get DSL if you can get it. I've had both, stuck with Cable right now.

As always, cable is totally compromised by the fact it's typically over-subscribed.

Say your next-door neighbor decided to download a 20GB media file.. it RELALY affects you speed. Running a DLS reporto on my line speed I often see it frop to near 56k speeds around the evenings.

For nearly the same cost I can get asyn 256/718 and I would not suffer the headaches. The *only* reason I have not is because the service in this area is MSN and it's a refreshing DHCP and I need as static an IP as I can get. Somehow I got an IP from @HOME (which was then AT&T and now ComCRAP) that has only changed once even though it's DHCP as well.

Some other things to consider is that cable prohibits any type of server running on your end of the pipe. On DSL I could sacrifice my bandwidth with a serve if I wanted too and with my old DSL company I had a block of 5 static IP's.

If you can get a static IP you can run a server from your house (not sure what your ultimate goal is here).

If you are a casual user, cable is probably fine. For me running a business the line speed issues are a real pain. Thankfully my neighbors are gone during the day so I can get a good clean pipe, but in the evenings I just hang it up until 10:00pm when the line is less congested.

Think of it like a telephone party line. If there are few user it's not too bad but when everyone is on it it's nearly imposible to converse.

I'm just dying to get wirless T1 like the had almost 10 years ago in some parts of Sillycon Valley.

- DH

·
Registered
105 Posts
Service in all areas will be different. My suggestion would be to go to dslreports.com and look at reviews in your area. I have DSL and love it, but I have never had cable available in my area.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Cable at home and DSL at work and they are both the same....very fast. But the price on DSL is around $20 now compared to $45 for cable. I say what ever is cheaper

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
My cable is normally rock solid....but today, since we are talking about it, some buttwad cut an underground, and I am using dial up....aarghh

·
Registered
80 Posts
I am a supervisor for a cox cable contractor. I have been in the business for 5 years. I have installed sat. , wireless and 3 years installing cox cable modems. The previous reply about dslreports.com is an excellent suggestion. I will not bash dsl but, There is no way in @#$* that I would get the download speed for the buck that I get with cable. Also, the previous relies about no static ip's and slow when others are on is b.s. Any reputable cable company offers static ip's and bandwidth management. Bandwidth management is basically a promise to perform by not over loading servers and nodes as well as a few other tricks. DSL will never out perform my connection for the buck. I typically average 3mbps down 800kbps up at a cost of 40.00 per month. BTW I install for cox but have TCONL (ie. qwest) and they both perform about the same. TCONL gives me a static ip for a residential account with no bandwidth cap. I have seen download speeds of 6mbps+. Top that dsl. A funny way to look at the old anti-cable advertisments. Yes I share bandwidth with my neighbors but when We still average 2-3 times faster than DSL during those slow time why are we even talking about dsl. It's like telling me your Yugo has smoother acceleration than my 954. Why are we even talking. ***disclaimer*** First check dslreports.com because yes there are some cruddy cable companies over selling and puting caps on bandwidth.But if your local ranks anywhere towards the top, No question Cable. BTW have you heard the horror stories about a high percentage of dsl installs. Not that I am prejudice.
signed supervisor of HSD,
Pioneer communications

1 - 12 of 12 Posts