Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're looking at low- to mid-priced Home Theater Systems that are complete 'in the box' (receiver/DVD and speakers).  We don't really want to spend more than about $500.  I know that isn't a lot to spend on a decent system, but we live in a townhouse and don't need to blow the neighbors away.  We do want something that sounds alright for the price, though.

Any suggestions??

TIA

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I know that most Best Buys and Circuit Cities sell package deals like that so you might want to start there. I'm not sure you'll be able to find a complete system for under $500 though. Many decent to good receivers alone cost that.

If you're looking to try and get good quality without spending a fortune, you might want to look into Onkyo or lower-end Yamaha for the receiver, Panasonic for the DVD, and Paradigm or Sony for the speakers. I'm pretty sure you'll end up at or over $1000 with a setup like this though.

Good luck...

·
Registered
929 Posts
...and that's the truth. I dont know of a boxed Home Theater set that sells for <$500, much less one that would perform decently. Good luck in your quest though. FYI - Reference only: I didnt buy anywhere near 'top of the line', somewhere in the middle, and my receiver alone was $500 (4 years ago). It is very easy to drop a few thousand in an average sounding HT system. Sorry I couldnt be of anymore help.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mojave954 : My 'low end' cost me 850.  The bose system cost the GF, 2800.  The NEW bose rocks, pay now or pay later...
Yeah - my brother has the Bose system and it's straight tits... I just don't have that kind of dosh right now.

ND4 - that might be the best way to go

·
Registered
272 Posts
I agree with most...about the sub 500 range is hard to come by. I have a LOW END system as well, sounds great but still cost me close to $1000. I have a 500watt Sony receiver, with the THX and DTS cert. 2 acoustic front speakers, JBL center and rears and a 12' JBL 250 watt Subwoofer.

but I understand living in a townhome you dont want to piss off your neighbors...the receiver is the 'brain' of the system. By a DECENT receiver and build on. Speakers can be upgraded as you go along, as long as you have a nice receiver and a good TV the rest can be added on as you get money.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sweetonion : I take it you don't like Kenwood?  I thought a 5dvd changer, receiver, speakers, and sub for $600 would be right up your alley.
I had a Kenwood car stereo.  I was in the process of moving from Connecticut to Texas and the CD player went out on me just south of Hartford.  Talk about a LOOOOONG trip with no options but the radio.

After that, I've kind of steered away from Kenwood... chalk it up to bad experiences, I guess

·
Registered
469 Posts
Ahhhh, makes sense. I'm not the biggest Kenwood fan myself but thought it might be OK for the price. They had some pretty interesting packages from other brands there as well. We've done this thread before and a bunch of people, including myself, suggested spending the most on the receiver and upgrade speakers later etc....., but I thought I'd take a stab at answering the question this time. Anyway, have fun with it, and be carefull it can turn into a money pit real fast. The amount your gf spent is just the tip of the iceburg.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Bizjet, I have a friend in the business. He took care of me pretty well and steered me clear of that in the box crap. I didn't spend a whole lot and got an excellent 6.1 Yamaha tuner and good JBL's all the way around. The guy is a motorcyclist to boot, PM me and I'll pass his contact information along. He should be able to take care of you.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Hey, as long as we're talking about starting with a core and building on it..... How about starting with a solid processor and a pair of monoblocks? You can add additional monoblocks and speakers as you go.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
to get the TRUE 5.1 in a two component system, DVD and reciever seperate, ensure you have fiber optic connections. So many people think they are getting the 5.1 experience and are using analog out of their dvd's. my low end system rocked around GF's previous Bose that didn't have the DVD processing in the receiver, new one kicks A$$ in video and audio processing.

Whatever you settle with just ensure you are getting the true 5.1.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Mojave954 : to get the TRUE 5.1 in a two component system, DVD and reciever seperate, ensure you have fiber optic connections.  So many people think they are getting the 5.1 experience and are using analog out of their dvd's.  my low end system rocked around GF's previous Bose that didn't have the DVD processing in the receiver, new one kicks A$$ in video and audio processing.  

Correct, and a good point too. Panasonic offers a good, low-priced DVD player with fiber-optics, which is why I went with that (and suggested it). It also offers component connections, which will give you the best possible picture.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Mojave954 : to get the TRUE 5.1 in a two component system, DVD and reciever seperate, ensure you have fiber optic connections.  So many people think they are getting the 5.1 experience and are using analog out of their dvd's.  my low end system rocked around GF's previous Bose that didn't have the DVD processing in the receiver, new one kicks A$$ in video and audio processing.  

actually (and I don't mean to argue at all), audiophiles will tell you that coaxial digital connections are mucho better than optical ones (toslink)... And this is coming from a guy that engineers/manages/deploys fiber optic rings for a living...

Better off to get a really good receiver (Elite, marantz, rotel, arcam) and settle on two good speakers for a while, you'll be glad you did.

Bottom line, there is NO $500 TWO CHANNEL system that I would ever consider all that great! You are better off getting something you can 'build' on rather than a quick fix that you just throw away later...

my $.02...

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
ER : Quote (Mojave954 @ July 30 2003, 1:30pm)to get the TRUE 5.1 in a two component system, DVD and reciever seperate, ensure you have fiber optic connections.  So many people think they are getting the 5.1 experience and are using analog out of their dvd's.  my low end system rocked around GF's previous Bose that didn't have the DVD processing in the receiver, new one kicks A$$ in video and audio processing.  

Correct, and a good point too.  Panasonic offers a good, low-priced DVD player with fiber-optics, which is why I went with that (and suggested it).  It also offers component connections, which will give you the best possible picture.
Good point there ER, here we are all focused on sound and video is just as important. Ensure you present TV and the stereo you buy are compatible with iether s-video or component video inputs/outputs.

Damn we are having a lot of fun spending his money...

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
ccwilli3 : Quote (Mojave954 @ July 30 2003, 1:30pm)to get the TRUE 5.1 in a two component system, DVD and reciever seperate, ensure you have fiber optic connections.  So many people think they are getting the 5.1 experience and are using analog out of their dvd's.  my low end system rocked around GF's previous Bose that didn't have the DVD processing in the receiver, new one kicks A$$ in video and audio processing.  

actually (and I don't mean to argue at all), audiophiles will tell you that coaxial digital connections are mucho better than optical ones (toslink)...  And this is coming from a guy that engineers/manages/deploys fiber optic rings for a living...

Better off to get a really good receiver (Elite, marantz, rotel, arcam) and settle on two good speakers for a while, you'll be glad you did.

Bottom line, there is NO $500 TWO CHANNEL system that I would ever consider all that great!  You are better off getting something you can 'build' on rather than a quick fix that you just throw away later...

my $.02...
Gp there cwilli but I am talking about the decoding process btwn the dvd and reciever. Interesting fact though! I think I get better quality when I use the F/O connection over ALL the other connections. Guess it is all in the user ears. GP on the rcvr, get one to build on.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts