Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:crying:I have a 94 cbr 900rr..It has a dynojet kit and yoshi headers and pipe..Last fall I was riding it and shut it off to get gas...Went to leave and it wouldn't fire..Turns over but no spark..I noticed where my harness plugs into the regulator was fried..So I purchased a new one and had to wire it myself using tab clips that fit the tabs inside the regulator...Took it out yesterday and same thing..Only the middle wire coming from the stator was a lil burnt..Took it all apart cut it off put new clips on it..It fires right up..Get 1/2 mile down the road get gas wont start again...Nothing is burnt this time...I'm completley lost.. I don't know if the clips are arching inside the regulator due to the fact there not in the plastic clip...ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APP.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm having a similar problem on my '98 blade. except i never had burnt wires and havent replaced anything yet. have you checked the volts at the battery while running? they say your supposed to get 13.5 or more when running at 5k rpm's. I get about 12 and it just drops off and dies at idle. but i cant tell if its the stator or R/R. not trying to buy both if i have to ya know... i already got a new battery just to make sure, as it was already 7 years old. let me know what you find out.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
I'm having a similar problem on my '98 blade. except i never had burnt wires and havent replaced anything yet. have you checked the volts at the battery while running? they say your supposed to get 13.5 or more when running at 5k rpm's. I get about 12 and it just drops off and dies at idle. but i cant tell if its the stator or R/R. not trying to buy both if i have to ya know... i already got a new battery just to make sure, as it was already 7 years old. let me know what you find out.

I don't understand why people don't think "I have a problem with my bike, why don't I get a workshop manual and work out what's wrong?" :)
Get a multimeter and a manual and do the simple tests of the charging system to determine what has failed.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Had the same problem with the cooked wires...

replaced reg / rec, replaced the burnt wires, brought a new battery (the old one had been fried!)

Not missed a beat since. Even the alarm has started working again

I don't understand why people don't think "I have a problem with my bike, why don't I get a workshop manual and work out what's wrong?" :)
Get a multimeter and a manual and do the simple tests of the charging system to determine what has failed.
Yeah! thats what I always do. My bike has yet not been to a dealer for a single problem. Haynes manual, common sense and on here for a last resort / out of the box ideas!:thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have both the Haynes and the original manual. Both of which are at home in NC. Kinda hard when im on the bike in FL and I'm doing this research trying to figure ot out on my Droid. Haha. I can't remember what they are supposed to read after the stator and after the r/r.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
OK so I have continuity between all 3 wires from the stator and no continuity to ground. Is that correct? The manually simply states between all three wires and ground but doesn't say anything about continuity between the wires themselves. I'm guessing they shouldn't because there would be no point of having three wires, correct? And then there is continuity of all three between the other side of the plug going to the rec/reg and ground? My guess is its frying the whole charging system.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
OK so I have continuity between all 3 wires from the stator and no continuity to ground. Is that correct? The manually simply states between all three wires and ground but doesn't say anything about continuity between the wires themselves. I'm guessing they shouldn't because there would be no point of having three wires, correct? And then there is continuity of all three between the other side of the plug going to the rec/reg and ground? My guess is its frying the whole charging system.

The first test the manual tells you to do is to "Check the resistance between all three yellow terminals." of the stator connector. You want to see 0.1-0.3Ω between each pair.
Then check for continuity to ground, there should be none.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts