Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Honda CBR 929RR ECU need to be replaced, help me please !

38578 Views 59 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  secretshopper
Hello guys, i am new to this forum and this is my 1st post :)

I have a 929rr and it can't start. repair center guy said my ECU (CDI) need to be replaced. also he said my bike doesn't have HISS system. my bike have a power commander unit also .

So here is the problem, how do i find a matching ECU for my bike?

My current ECU showing these figures

38770-MCJ-641
9629 - 125898
KEIHIN corporation ED

I searched ebay for a ECU and i found one. here is it's figures.

38770-MBG - 671
9601 - 103677
Kehin corporation A

Will this ECU work with my bike? if not, please give me a guide how to select a correct ECU unit for my bike.

If anyone wants more info please ask me.

And i am from SRI LANKA ! :smilebig:
See less See more
41 - 60 of 60 Posts
BladeRacer, i got a reply from one ebay seller and he said

"Sorry, don't have all parts. Bikes in U.S.A don't have immobilzer, therefore can be switched with other bikes."

His ECU's serial is

38870-MCJ-771
9631-101136

Mine is

38770-MCJ-671
9630-114802

So that mean i can use his ECU without changing harness of my bike. right?

A non-HISS ECU can only be swapped with other non-HISS bikes, you can't swap a non-HISS ECU into a HISS-equipped bike.
That number sounds like a Californian bike?
If you find out what harness you have and the wiring is the same then yes, you should be able to swap the ECU.
So if i put a non-HISS ECU + Main wiring harness, would that be enough?
So if i put a non-HISS ECU + Main wiring harness, would that be enough?

Hmmm...the ignition switch has a diode that prevents the bike starting but it is possible to solder in a diode to bypass that.
http://www.fireblades.org/forums/ho...ing-bypass-ignition-need-help.html#post809728
I would expect the switch clusters and headlight harness to need some tweaking of the wiring to suit the harness, but it shouldn't be too difficult, and may even have already been done if your harness is currently a non-HISS one.
Wiring diagrams are here:
http://www.fireblades.org/forums/honda-fireblade/86073-929-954-wiring-diagrams.html#post936535
As you can see, the obvious difference is the HISS immobiliser wiring, but you can also see that almost all the periferals are wired differently, even the front indicators.
Bladeracer, is there any way to start the bike's engine without ECU?
Bladeracer, is there any way to start the bike's engine without ECU?

The short answer is no :)
But I guess it _could_ be done if you replaced the throttle bodies with carbs and hooked up some other means of telling the coils when to fire - like a set of mechanical points mounted in place of the timing rotor perhaps.
Do either of those links have any relevance to this thread at all?
Or even to bikes in general?
hello all

MCJ-671 is a HISS system ECU , looking at the photo,s ,of ecu internals it still has an immobiliser eeprom fitted. Iam very suprised it would run at all without a chipped key. I would like to read this programmed chip and see what the data says to make it run without HISS. This is either a case of advanced electronics (which i doubt, looking at the state of the ecu ) or the key chip is being read elswhere from an adapted reciever not from the aerial around the lock ...This is a system most racers use if they have not already changed to the US ecu.
hello all

MCJ-671 is a HISS system ECU , looking at the photo,s ,of ecu internals it still has an immobiliser eeprom fitted. Iam very suprised it would run at all without a chipped key. I would like to read this programmed chip and see what the data says to make it run without HISS. This is either a case of advanced electronics (which i doubt, looking at the state of the ecu ) or the key chip is being read elswhere from an adapted reciever not from the aerial around the lock ...This is a system most racers use if they have not already changed to the US ecu.

Just for reference, my Aussie 929 HISS ECU is 38770-MCJ-641.
I also have a US 954 ECU 38770-MCJ-A01 and an '06/'07 1000RR ECU which is 38770-MEL-A22. I can get the number of the Aussie '04/'05 1000RR HISS ECU as well if you want it.
i have 2001 honda cbr 929rr the pgm unit is bad i bought another one the bike refuse to start,is showing me F1.and my bike has no hiss on the ignation key,the ecu parts no is 38770-mcj-671 pls i need help.the fuel is not priming no spark on the plug side nothing is working/
dose the down ecu nnumber mean any the mine is uper one 38770-mcj-671 down 9630-108095 pls i need help im tired of buying brain box,or do i need to buy brand new ecu?
Hello
Your MCJ-671 ecu is an American spec and does not have an immobiliser system. Seems you may have a faulty ecu or wiring .
On the European CBR 929, Hiss ecu (MCJ-641 ) there have been 100,s of problems reported to us , with the ecu shorting out and causing the coded keys not to work . This then causes the bike not to prime , F1 light on and no spark, just like your emerican spec . I believe you have bad wiring connections or ecu fault and your problem maybe the reason below.

The reason the ecu shorts out is due to bad corrosion in a wiring connector , this connector is a junction of approx 16 wires and located , taped onto the main wiring loom on left hand side of the bike (as you sit on it ) . put your hand just above the rider footrest and feel up for the loom, the connector will be there , either yellow or brown . strip this down and re-connect the wires . It wont save your ecu now but will stop it shorting out any other ECU you put on the bike . This is a well known problem with these bikes and also the Honda blackbird , made at the same time, with the same type loom. We have owners telling us the CBR 929 keys have lost the code ( virtually impossible) we looked into the problem and this is what we found . There are other websites which talk of this problem and the solution.
See less See more
Reactions: 1
i have 2001 honda cbr 929rr the pgm unit is bad i bought another one the bike refuse to start,is showing me F1.and my bike has no hiss on the ignation key,the ecu parts no is 38770-mcj-671 pls i need help.the fuel is not priming no spark on the plug side nothing is working/
Try bypassing the kill switch.
@ eepromking

Can I use MCJ-671 to replace a shorted out MCJ-641?

I can put the 641 eprom into the 671 and will it work?

Thanks
No ...it wont work ...There is data in other parts of the ecu that tell the ecu to read the security in the eeprom and what to look for ...this data is missing in the 671 as its not needed.
I might be able to strip the original 641 out of its case... How about replacing the faulty component...

Regards to the corrosion in the harness... I have checked the yello connecter and seems to ne fine...

Would you know what the faulty component is?

Thanks.
The circuit board and components will be burnt out on the 641 . The board cannot be repaired.
The wiring connector may look ok , but you have to open the connector up to see the corrosion it is not visible from the outside.
HI All
There's same situation as I have now:idunno: on my the other CBR929rr..make long story short!
I bought very good condition 2001 929rr, but after I rode my scooter out for dinner, I lost my key(Hiss system).I sent my (Hiss)ECU to remap it to match the hiss key, after 3 weeks! the key back, it matched! but the engine idol was going to 5k rpm or higher!:crying:
I start to install US model key switch, main wire harness and ECU (MCJ-671) us spec, And now still not start,fuel pump is not working,too! I tried many dignostic, even sent ECU to
Carmo Electronics, The place for parts or electronics for your Motorbike Quad Scooter Car or Jetski spend 76 dollars to check my US model ECU, it good working parts. But no start still....
I think it should be ignition wire problem, can any help? :confused:
See less See more
hola disculpen que no hablo ingles pero con el perdon de todos creo que aqui hay una confucion con este tema el sitema Hiss es para europa que diferencia hay en el sitema europeo al americanopor normas de contaminacion y ventas para los estados unidos hay siertas normas que deben tener los fabricantes para poder vender sus producos en los estados unidos de norte america ejemplo la moto debe tener un control de los gases toxicos que genera la moto y contaminacion es por eso que para que honda venda en los estados le exijen que sus productos pasen siertos controlesesa es una de las diferencias que tiene la ecu americana a la europea el arnes de cable es el mismo con la diferencia que trae 4 o 5 cables diferentes creo es cuestion de ver el esquematico del cable y que la europea tra el sitema Hiss ahora como trabaja el sitema hiss en la ecu hay un epron de 8 bits que guarda una codificacion que si conside esa codificacion con la codificacion que trae la llave ya que la llave trae un trasponde con esa informacion si conside deja pasar un voltaje para que active la bomba de gasolina y la corriente para la bujias de lo contarrio esa moo no enciende en donde va la llave hay un cinturion que cubre el hueco donde va la llave i dise Hiss eso es una antena que manda la señal a la computadora es el que comunica la llave el trasponder con la ecu tienes que chequear si ese aro no esta roto o averiado y si la llave tiene el trasponder ahora la americana como funciona la americanata no trae (Hiss pero donde va la llave en la parte inferior hay un diodo zener de 3.3v si ese diodo esta fundido hace lo mismo que hace la ecu con (Hiss no manda señal a la bomba de gasolina para que active y no manda chispa a las bujias conclucion para mi es mas facil la americana que la eurpoea por que la europea es mas facil ya que se le cambia el diodo zener y listo mientras que la eurpoea hay que hacer otras cosas que seran para otro tema
See less See more
Does anyone have an ECU for 2001 929rr for sale
41 - 60 of 60 Posts