Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After changing a bunch of parts in the last couple of months, fork lowers, throttle wax unit, cush drive, sprocket, fuel pressure regulator, brake pads etc, I still have one tiny what seems to be an electrical glitch to be solved. Notice the sound at 0.11 and 0.39 in the below video:

Out of nowhere the power cuts off for a fraction of a second and is then back on.
To try and counter this I changed the spark plugs a month ago,
But the glitch remains.
Thinking could be a kaput ignition coil? The power delivery between 1200 - 2000 rpm is edgy, some engine lash in all gears, but it works perfectly fine past 2100 rpm, so I end up feeding some extra clutch till I'm in the 2000 + rpm zone.

· Registered
34 Posts

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi.

I have exactly the same problem and tried figure it out a long time but never get resolved it.
Did you try changing the ignition coil(s)? Can you please list out what you tried doing around it?
Initially I presumed it was one of the spark plugs since the bike was running rich cos of a kaput fuel pressure regulator. But that did not solve it.

· Registered
34 Posts
Did you try changing the ignition coil(s)? Can you please list out what you tried doing around it?
Initially I presumed it was one of the spark plugs since the bike was running rich cos of a kaput fuel pressure regulator. But that did not solve it.
My bike does run rich and idle is not so smooth as your idle seems to be very smooth. So I will try to change FPR if that help rich condition.
I have change:
#Spark plugs
#Checked coils ( spray water to beginning of the exhaust, not sure is that right way)
#Air filter(stock)
#Fuel filter
#Regulator
#Blocked Pair valve system (no help)
#Cleaned injectors
#Sync throttle body

I have been thinking if problem would be a pulse generator or something similar part. Also coils would be one good guess.
When I did sync throttle bodys I did notice that one of the sync tool oil pillar did drop when it does that "cough". I don`t know if that mean something.
I made my own sync tool and it looks like this:

· Registered
328 Posts
Looks like a great idea for a sync tool! What are you using for fluid?

· Registered
3 Posts
I had exactly this same problem and it used to infuriate me,.. no mechanic seemed to ever find the problem and it drove me to the point of nearly selling it.

Its now resolved,.. I cant be 100% sure, but what fixed it for me was replacing the FPR,.. there is a guy on Youtube,.. fraid I cant find the video that had the same problem and he said he had a faulty wire somewhere which he replaced to fix it. Sorry I dont know which.

Hope that helps,.. :)

· Registered
34 Posts
Looks like a great idea for a sync tool! What are you using for fluid?
I use motor oil and it seems to work fine, much better than water.

I had exactly this same problem and it used to infuriate me,.. no mechanic seemed to ever find the problem and it drove me to the point of nearly selling it.

Its now resolved,.. I cant be 100% sure, but what fixed it for me was replacing the FPR,.. there is a guy on Youtube,.. fraid I cant find the video that had the same
problem and he said he had a faulty wire somewhere which he replaced to fix it. Sorry I dont know which.

Hope that helps,.. :)
I´m hopping that new FPR will be my rescue about this situation. But that wire you said, I´m really interested what wire he was talking about.
I have check most of my wires what I can see clearly. Dam I hate these FI bikes !!!
Carbs is so simple :)

· Registered
3 Posts
I´m hopping that new FPR will be my rescue about this situation. But that wire you said, I´m really interested what wire he was talking about.
I have check most of my wires what I can see clearly. Dam I hate these FI bikes !!!
Carbs is so simple :)
I'm pretty confident a new FPR will fix it mate,.. and they are relatively cheap to replace too. If I find the vid I mentioned I'll post it. let me know how you get on :)

· Registered
7,455 Posts
No codes huh? I would have guessed cam or ignition pulse generator connectors or wiring. Or a loose ground.
FPR? I wouldn't rule it out, but it's not the first thing I would go to...
btw, they cost around $75

edit: I reviewed the posts again, mssbk9 is the OP, and samba jumped in now too. Ok, I'm straightend out now.
mssbk9 did replace his fpr, and he said it didn't change the problem.

· Registered
7,455 Posts
mssbk9 - have you shorted the service connector to find codes? Even if you don't have any, (maybe the hiccup isn't quite enough to trip a code), I'm still thinking about the ignition and cam pulse generators possibly being the source of the problem.

· Registered
34 Posts
No codes huh? I would have guessed cam or ignition pulse generator connectors or wiring. Or a loose ground.
FPR? I wouldn't rule it out, but it's not the first thing I would go to...
btw, they cost around $75

edit: I reviewed the posts again, mssbk9 is the OP, and samba jumped in now too. Ok, I'm straightend out now.
mssbk9 did replace his fpr, and he said it didn't change the problem.
You are correct, I haven`t yet change FPR because it's coming this way.
I hope that it`s my problem because my seems to run a little rich.
Mine doesn`t also give any code. I did take map sensor off and it immediately start to blink so that system works. After that I erase code off.

· Registered
328 Posts
Look very oily. Is your valve cover leaking oil down the spark plug hole. If so that could be a problem causing the spark plugs to arch instead of spark.

· Registered
34 Posts
Look very oily. Is your valve cover leaking oil down the spark plug hole. If so that could be a problem causing the spark plugs to arch instead of spark.
Hmmm, I never thought of that option.
Year ago i did also adjust valve, few intake and one exhaust was out of tolerance. I didn`t do anything else.
Might be good idea take valve cover off and look that gasket.

· Registered
10 Posts
See if you can find the fuel cutoff relay and jumper the connector with 12volts, you should be able to jumper across two wires, using a paper clip or something like that. Make sure key is off first ...now turn on the key and you should here it. The tail light could just be a separate issue, did you check your fuses.. maybe the bulb is burnt out. See if the bike will push start..if it does, then drive it and get up to speed if the fuel pump is not doing its job you wont be able to hold that speed for long..it might even start bogging down.

· Registered
328 Posts
Hmmm, I never thought of that option.
Year ago i did also adjust valve, few intake and one exhaust was out of tolerance. I didn`t do anything else.
Might be good idea take valve cover off and look that gasket.
Put a rag on a screwdriver and push it down the plug hole, noy into the cylinder. If you come up with oil the valve cover is leaking.

· Registered
328 Posts
See if you can find the fuel cutoff relay and jumper the connector with 12volts, you should be able to jumper across two wires, using a paper clip or something like that. Make sure key is off first ...now turn on the key and you should here it. The tail light could just be a separate issue, did you check your fuses.. maybe the bulb is burnt out. See if the bike will push start..if it does, then drive it and get up to speed if the fuel pump is not doing its job you wont be able to hold that speed for long..it might even start bogging down.
I think you responded to the wrong post?

· Registered
106 Posts
I am so sorry to bring this back from the dead lol...
But I have searched long and hard and have finally found the exact description to my bike. Watch the video of the VTR1000f up top.
Its a 954rr, the bike has a full arrow exhaust, pair/flapper/exhaust valve delete. If I run it without a power commander, it will do it rarely, but will do it. Usually once heated up fully, like a half hour into a ride, at a stop light it might might do it once. When I have my power commander plugged in, it will do it every time it idles. And it will do it pretty close to the rhythm in that video. It will do it if I enrichen the fuel for low rpm, and it will do it if I lean it out for low rpm on my pc3. Regardless the settings... it will do this at idle. With the PC3 plugged in. Everything just stops for a fraction of a second and then keeps on chugging. Everything runs fine otherwise.
Replaced the plugs, they look good. New battery. New fuel pump regulator. I have been horrified in the back of my mind thinking it could be mechanical somehow but I am now so convinced it is electrical after reading this thread and the comments on that VTR video. Im thinking of replacing R/R and ignition coils. Will look into testing things further.

I just had to bring this back because I had made a thread before about this, without a reference available. This is what I was talking about... in the youtube video above.

Any thoughts or guidance appreciated.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts