Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new here on forum, so I hope I write in the right topic... I apologize for my bad english, sometimes I write in Google Translate.. :idunno:

I'm Jan, I come from Slovenia and I recently became the owner of the Honda CBR 954RR, year 2002.

The tail is painted black because it was slightly damaged, but I am a fan of black, so sooner or later it will all be black ... with original label in a conspicuous color ....
I replaced the taillight and blinkers, do holder and plate lights .... still waiting the front blinkers, because we have one broken off during transport... I have to change the tires, brake pads, brake fluid, coolant, steering bearings, and of course, oil filter and spark plugs ...
Oh, and also sports exhaust is already on the way.... :rotfl::rotfl:

I have the first problem: In the front sprocket a little oil leaks. Not much, but it bothers me and would like to arrange pre-season!
Obviously descend seal. I wonder whether it be replaced from the outside, or I need to open the engine?

Thank you for your answers ...
Greetings, Jan

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Hello, I am new here on forum, so I hope I write in the right topic... I apologize for my bad english, sometimes I write in Google Translate.. :idunno:

I'm Jan, I come from Slovenia and I recently became the owner of the Honda CBR 954RR, year 2002.

The tail is painted black because it was slightly damaged, but I am a fan of black, so sooner or later it will all be black ... with original label in a conspicuous color ....
I replaced the taillight and blinkers, do holder and plate lights .... still waiting the front blinkers, because we have one broken off during transport... I have to change the tires, brake pads, brake fluid, coolant, steering bearings, and of course, oil filter and spark plugs ...
Oh, and also sports exhaust is already on the way.... :rotfl::rotfl:

I have the first problem: In the front sprocket a little oil leaks. Not much, but it bothers me and would like to arrange pre-season!
Obviously descend seal. I wonder whether it be replaced from the outside, or I need to open the engine?

Thank you for your answers ...
Greetings, Jan

You sure it's engine oil and not just chain lube?
Cases need to be split to do the countershaft seal as it has a retaining lip on it.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Consider it a chain lubrication system if it is not dripping too much.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha, no seriously .... can anyone answer me?

Otherwise, today I took off the sprocket and probably see if the seal is inside or outside.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
haha, no seriously .... can anyone answer me?

Otherwise, today I took off the sprocket and probably see if the seal is inside or outside.

Answer you about what?
The seal has a retaining lip to prevent it blowing out due to crankcase pressure. To replace it you need to split the cases. If it had an external seal retainer bolted across it then you would know it didn't have a lip.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Obviously a mechanic will have a lot of work ... And I'll pay a lot :(

Did you determine that it's definitely the seal that's leaking?
You would probably save a significant amount if you remove the engine yourself.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nothing else can bee I think. Engine is dry elsewhere. Around the gear it is dry. I've cleaned the engine with brake cleaner and oil comes out of the front sprocket ..
About opening the engine .... I do not have enough experience with it. I can do a service, replace brake pads, fluid, paint things and much more ... But I haven't done that before...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, a pro Honda mechanic told me to replace the seal for about 120€ + oil and filter about 45€.
I was expecting a higher price .... And, I removed the plastic itself, because I changed the spark plug, air filter, steering bearings ....

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Okay, a pro Honda mechanic told me to replace the seal for about 120€ + oil and filter about 45€.
I was expecting a higher price .... And, I removed the plastic itself, because I changed the spark plug, air filter, steering bearings ....

Wow, that's a great price.
Did he say the engine has to be opened up to do it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He said that there is a way that you can cut old seal, take it out, and then insert and glued new back .... about 40 €. As he says, it's already done a few times, and it works ...

Second, (the right) way is to open the engine and change the gasket ... Given the fact that I just bought a motorcycle, and I'm doing quite a lot of kilometers .... And I do not want to check if there is an oil under the bike, every time when I go to ride... I chose the second option.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
He said that there is a way that you can cut old seal, take it out, and then insert and glued new back .... about 40 €. As he says, it's already done a few times, and it works ...

Second, (the right) way is to open the engine and change the gasket ... Given the fact that I just bought a motorcycle, and I'm doing quite a lot of kilometers .... And I do not want to check if there is an oil under the bike, every time when I go to ride... I chose the second option.

Yes, that can work, but as you know, it's not the right way to do it.
But 120E to split the engine is an excellent price.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
But otherwise generally, any tips on what to keep an eye on this motorcycle? What special?

They told me that steering stabilizer is "must have" on that bike....... Any other similar thing?:smilierr:

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
But otherwise generally, any tips on what to keep an eye on this motorcycle? What special?

They told me that steering stabilizer is "must have" on that bike....... Any other similar thing?:smilierr:

Charging system is the obvious weak point.
Other common items are the servo motor, HTEV, and crash damage to the left crankcase, instrument cluster and headlight.
No, you don't require a damper - it's entirely down to your personal preference.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts